Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• same, waiting on apolyton.net, but every now and then it speeds up and isn't so bad, but that's the exception.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I haven't really had any slowdowns out here in flyover country.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Some of it is probably just vb5 being slower.

There are several other sites on this server, the old one was on it's own. (Also it's in San Francisco now, used to be New York. Might be a few ms there depending on location.) There may be times when some of the other sites are seeing heavy loads, though there is a ton of extra processing power and memory most of the time. May need to reconfigure the server to work better with vb5, allow more worker threads, or something else I don't have time for right now. The other sites are generally quick (other than the ads), but none of them use vBulletin. First byte time for most of my other sites is ~1/2 second. First byte time for Apolyton is 1 second. So that's half a second of it. (vB just being slower on the same setup.)

The ads are asynchronous, can't start loading until the page has been generated and served, and shouldn't slow down the rest of the site much at all unless you're on a very slow connection or get a wonky ad.

Comment

• I get 780mbps here, so I doubt the connection is an issue.

Comment

• Yeah, the two locations I use both have very high rates. It's not painfully slow, just annoying slow. But there are times where it's only a sec.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Most annoying waiting times seem to happen, when I try t edit a posting ... often takes an eternity after clickng on edit, until the editor is ready
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• I just edited a post and it was sub second. IT comes and goes.

Ok editied this post

less than a second both times
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Yes, as you say, it comes and goees.

At the moment editing for me also is quite fast.

Bu when I made the thread about the dutch cows 3 hours ago and wanted to edit the opening posting,
                  it took ~20-30 seconds when he editor was fully loaded and could be used
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post

Just look at what's going on in the lower-left corner of the window (in firefox, anyway).
                    I like watching that. It gives the illusion of activity on the forums.

Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• It seems like, when you use the "Post Link Buttton" (2nd Button upper left) and afterwards, when editing the posting, you cannot remove it anymore.
                      When you click on "Remove Link" and afterwards want to save the edited posting, the forum always complains about "Missing URL" and doesn't let you ave the posting, until you have put valid URL into the URL-Field again.

(Forced me to put the Google-URL into this postng: https://apolyton.net/forum/miscellan...30#post9320730 )

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                        It seems like, when you use the "Post Link Buttton" (2nd Button upper left) and afterwards, when editing the posting, you cannot remove it anymore.
                        When you click on "Remove Link" and afterwards want to save the edited posting, the forum always complains about "Missing URL" and doesn't let you ave the posting, until you have put valid URL into the URL-Field again.

(Forced me to put the Google-URL into this postng: https://apolyton.net/forum/miscellan...30#post9320730 )
                        I had this for ages, until I realized I was doing something wrong. I can't remember what it was though, which I realize is not really helpful.

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post

I had this for ages, until I realized I was doing something wrong. I can't remember what it was though, which I realize is not really helpful.
                          Thanks a lot ... at least now I know that there probably is a way, even though I still don't know how
                          Obviously it is so well hidden that not even our admins know about it, considering the lack of answers by Aeson & Co

Comment

• I'm not sure what you're talking about. If when posting you have the "Add Link" ... can you just click the "X" to the right to get rid of it if it's causing you a problem?

Comment

• I think that's it, I just got that popup when playing around with it. Clicking the "X" to get rid of the link input box allows the post to go through.

That is annoying, but probably hard coded into the forum.

Comment

• So, I just tested it again ...
                                I used "Add Link" to link a Youtube-Video and then I posted the Posting (exactly this posting here) ...
                                Afterwards I tried to edit the posting an emoe the added Link ... but the x-Button you refer to wasn't there anymore.
                                The X-Button only is there when I make a new posting (with a Link) but not anymoe when I try to edit a posting (that I made with "Add Link")

See attached Screenshot
                                (I should add that I use the latest version of Firefox)
                                Attached Files

Last edited by Proteus_MST; March 30, 2017, 21:36.

Comment

Working...
                                X