Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the Greatest President of the United States?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just one more vote for "Other", and Reagan will be tied for first place.

Comment

I'll say Van Buren. You need more Dutch presidents.

Edit: I just found out that Van Buren prevented Texas from joining the US. Jesus Christ, no one can hold a candle to this guy.
      Last edited by Kontiki; April 29, 2009, 16:56.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia View Post
        My vote goes to Washington. Most leaders who become great in times of war tend to outstay their welcome once peace returns. The American revolution was the start of a good thing, and Washington had the humility to step down and keep it that way. Compared to other major nations that had a change of government through revolution (China, Russia, France, to name a few) I'd say the American model has done unexpectedly well. Although many different great U.S. leaders are to thank for it, Washington was the first.
        Exactly. 99% of leaders who talk about what a burden leadership is and how they just want to go retire on the farm are full of ****. Washington was one of the few who meant it and that made all of the difference in the early US. If pretty much anyone else had been President early on things could've gotten very hairy...

I'd also rank Eisenhower pretty high, if it wasn't for what the CIA did during his administration...

Lazy presidents (except Bush)
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
          Lincoln, because he made Texas his b!tch.
          You know, you really do not embrace Lincoln's idea of, "charity toward all, and malice toward none."
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

re Coolidge

Yes, I did. The point was to bring out the quote that he had served for 7 years as president by 1928, and would have served more then a decade by the time 1933 rolled around.
            Coolidge was President from August 23, 1923 to March 4, 1929 - that is only 5 years 7 months - not 7 years. LBJ was president for a similar period (3 months fewer than Coolidge).

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki View Post
              Edit: I just found out that Van Buren prevented Texas from joining the US. Jesus Christ, no one can hold a candle to this guy.
              You make a compelling argument.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                You know, you really do not embrace Lincoln's idea of, "charity toward all, and malice toward none."
                Like I care. He crushed the South without mercy. That's what makes Lincoln great. Other than that, he was a mediocre president and it's good that he was killed. He would have blown it with Reconstruction.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Just in case anyone was forgetting your douchebaggery, you are kind enough to remind us.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh View Post
                    Lazy presidents (except Bush)
                    Well, you could have rephrased: Lazy presidents & their vice-presidents who are just as lazy!
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                      Like I care. He crushed the South without mercy. That's what makes Lincoln great. Other than that, he was a mediocre president and it's good that he was killed. He would have blown it with Reconstruction.
                      You don't know how he would have dealt with Reconstruction. Late in his presidency, he started extending equal voting rights for blacks in Union-occupied Louisiana for starters.

What magic eight ball do you have that you can say forthrightly how Lincoln would have enacted Reconstruction policies, and based on such presumptions, write hiim off as if he would have been half-hearted, or even worse, with regard to fairness and equal rights for freedpeople?

Lincoln was much more than mediocre in other areas besides just the defeat of Confederacy. He believed in the principle of basic human equality, as stated in our Declaration of Independence.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Lincoln wanted what Johnson put into place (well aside from the wanting to be accepted by the Confederate elite thing and given them some preferential treatment). Lincoln wasn't interested in punishing the South, which is what che wants.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                          Lincoln, because he made Texas his b!tch.
                          Texas won the last battle of the War between the states, after Lee had surrendered.
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

• That's how insignificant they were.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                              Lincoln wasn't interested in punishing the South, which is what che wants.
                              Really what I want is to troll Slowwhand, but he isn't taking the bait.

I did hook MrFun, but he's below the weight limit, so I have to throw him back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola View Post
                                Texas won the last battle of the War between the states, after Lee had surrendered.
                                So you're worse than the French. You win and surrender!

Comment

Working...
                                X