Health officials concerned about swine flu outbreak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
    What I'm hoping is that this strain will weaken as it spreads and peter out over time.

This has been one of my concerns sense studying pathology and microbiology when I was in college.

I was hoping to find mature persons to discuss this topic with said same understanding of microbiology. Even if it is off the deep end.

Guess I was wrong.
    Um...not only have you not been acting mature but you've shown that you don't have a good understanding of microbiology. The problem is that people don't know if you're joking or an idiot.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
      Um...not only have you not been acting mature but you've shown that you don't have a good understanding of microbiology. The problem is that people don't know if you're joking or an idiot.
      Nobody has taken the time to ask only belittle me and others instead.

BTW
      how do you know if I do not have an understanding of microbiology?
      I know what a fomite is
      Do you?

Comment

• fomite=yo' mama
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
          fomite=yo' mama
          Just as I thought

I still love you

Comment

• The reason why we're finding more confirmed cases in the US is largely in part due to the fact that we have a better medical system that's far more capable of identifying and treating H1N1.

This panic, though, isn't helping--panic leads to stress, stress weakens immune systems, weakened immune systems are more vulnerable to pathogenic infections.

So far, the only death in the US has been a 2-year-old. It's my understanding that the human immune system is still relatively weak at the time, which can explain the death to an extent.

Unfortunately, it also raises some questions: the deaths in Mexico were predominantly in healthy adults; it's been suggested that those deaths are similar to the 1919 Spanish flu, in that the actual mechanism that killed them was a cytokine storm.

We have not seen deaths like that in the US yet; it's also quite possible that because we're more capable of identifying and treating H1N1, we're able to stave off the more severe effects. (One relief is that in (almost) every country that this flu strain has been found, they have a better health care system than Mexico.)

Again, it's something we should be concerned about, but the level of panic that Sloww and Docfeelgood are promoting seems quite excessive to me.
            B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
              Yes, sir. There's no effect over swine flu.
              Sounds like Texas has a problem with overreacting. Either that or a severely underfunded health care system or uneducated population.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Nobody has taken the time to ask only belittle me and others instead.

BTW
                how do you know if I do not have an understanding of microbiology?
                I know what a fomite is
                Do you?
                To use jargon as proof that you are knowledgable about a subject is a fallacy.

It'd be tantamount to my claiming expertise on military affairs just because I know the origin of the word "jarhead".

As far as 'fomite' goes, it's an inanimate object that can be a vector for transmission, if I'm not mistaken.
                B♭3

Comment

• I assumed he was joking to be nice.
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                    Sounds like Texas has a problem with overreacting. Either that or a severely underfunded health care system or uneducated population.
                    As the virus spreads it mutates over time.
                    Like AIDS it may start out more lethal at first then mutate to a less lethal strain.
                    Or vise versa.

As I have been trying to say this first wave may not be the one to fear.
                    It may be the next wave that we will have to fear because of the mutation.

This could be just the start of a lethal strain.

Human + swine + bird is a new strain never seen before.
                    Lets all hope for the best

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Classic View Post
                      To use jargon as proof that you are knowledgable about a subject is a fallacy.

It'd be tantamount to my claiming expertise on military affairs just because I know the origin of the word "jarhead".

As far as 'fomite' goes, it's an inanimate object that can be a vector for transmission, if I'm not mistaken.
                      I'm not trying to prove anything.
                      Bet you had to look that up

Comment

• As the virus spreads it mutates over time.
                        In case you haven't noticed, this is precisely why we've never been able to make a permanent vaccine against the Common Cold or Influenza A. They mutate too fast to make a suitable one-size-fits-all vaccine.

The reason why this one seems to have come out of nowhere is because it approached during the tail end of Mexico's flu season, is new and different enough from all of the other ones that had been going around, that it sucker punched their weak health care system.

Effect Measure: Swine flu: pictures, big and little
                        Apparently, upon further review, they're finding only swine sequences.
                        B♭3

Comment

I'm not trying to prove anything.
                          Bet you had to look that up
                          I didn't. Which is why I'm not sure if I'm correct, but if you're claiming to want a reasonable discussion, all of my posts here have been of that sort.

Yet you haven't answered. Put up or shut up.
                          B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Classic View Post
                            I didn't. Which is why I'm not sure if I'm correct, but if you're claiming to want a reasonable discussion, all of my posts here have been of that sort.

Yet you haven't answered. Put up or shut up.
                            Sorry I thought you were being nasty.

Most of what I get is attacks when trying to discuse.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Docfeelgood;5586803]As the virus spreads it mutates over time.
                              Like AIDS it may start out more lethal at first then mutate to a less lethal strain.
                              Or vise versa.

This could be just the start of a lethal strain.
                              The lethality of flu viruses comes mainly from its hemagglutinin. This current strain is a lethal strain. The issue will be whether it becomes a pandemic next flu season.

This is not true.
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Sorry I thought you were being nasty.

Most of what I get is attacks when trying to discuse.
                                If you thought I was being nasty, then you clearly haven't read any of my posts in this thread, and you clearly have no idea when my posts are actually nasty. (And why would you? You're not Ben.)

Go read them, and find answers them, and you'll get your reasoned discussion. Until then, your constant kvetching about being attacked has done you absolutely no favors, seeing as some of us have been trying to speak to this.
                                B♭3

Comment

Working...
                                X