Health officials concerned about swine flu outbreak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn't going to say anything.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post

Ok, Guy. I'm sure it's just a couple of schools overreacting. Guess what? That's ok with me. "Better safe than sorry."
      I would be majorily pissed if I had a child in school and measures weren't taken.
      How would you feel if they shut down everytime any kid was diagnosed with influenza? Because I can't tell you how many I diagnosed with the flu over the past few months. Thus far, here in the US, the symptoms have, by and large, been milder than most people diagnosed with the flu. Only one person has been so far as hospitalized. There is no evidence whatsoever at this point that shutting down the schools is going to do more good than harm.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Why give any kind of immunization for anything. Odds are, nothing will happen. Why buy auto insurance? The odds...well, you know, odds are all will be fine. Why health insurance? Odds are...
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

The masks don't help either.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
            Why give any kind of immunization for anything. Odds are, nothing will happen. Why buy auto insurance? The odds...well, you know, odds are all will be fine. Why health insurance? Odds are...

So we're gonna shut down the schools every time one kid comes down with a case of the sniffles?
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Monday evening 149 dead in Mexico... it's picking up a bit...
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                The masks don't help either.
                A few people have been wearing them around Monterrey in the city today. Also on some local show most of the presenters were wearing them, very weird.

Apparently there are none left to buy anywhere in the city either.

No confirmed victims here yet though.
                Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

I have succumbed... but I have answers too!

...to the insidious Austro-Hungarian influenza virus. You thot is was swine flu but really it's a holdover fro WWI. God thinks the Huns were pigs.

So I'm chilling here in the ether between this life and the next, waiting in the queue to get my name read off to see where I'm heading. Apparently there's more than just heaven adn hell there's lots of places. Oh and there's no spellchecker and literally millions of souls are trying to use the net to conteact people so I have limited usage and have to type really fast. But I can give you some actioanble intel from the "beyond"!!
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                    How would you feel if they shut down everytime any kid was diagnosed with influenza? Because I can't tell you how many I diagnosed with the flu over the past few months. Thus far, here in the US, the symptoms have, by and large, been milder than most people diagnosed with the flu. Only one person has been so far as hospitalized. There is no evidence whatsoever at this point that shutting down the schools is going to do more good than harm.
                    You must not have kids or elderly parents who depend on you.

Comment

He's a children's doctor, which is what's really blowing me away. Normally, he's very caring. I don't know WTF is going on now.
                      I think he's probably tired from doing a lot of good deeds anonymously.

Comment

Probably guynamer's problem is that he isn't a ****ing idiot.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Guy's really ****ed now. Che agrees with him. This has to mean that we're in desperate times.

Comment

Actually, in this case, I don't know if the immunizations would help anything? H1N1 is this one, I believe, similar to the Spanish Influenza, but the data coming in is preliminary at best. They're not too certain about mortality or transmissibility.

As far as deaths, it seems to be killing not just the elderly, the young, or those with compromised immune systems, but also healthy (within reason) adults.
                            B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                              You must not have kids or elderly parents who depend on you.
                              You mean, he must have a rational, unbiased point of view?

Comment

I don't honestly think this is yet worth panicking about, though. Mexico's health care system isn't as developed as the US's (or, for that matter, the Pacific Rim (excluding China, Russia, and much of SE Asia) or Europe's), so they could be underreporting the number of cases (driving up the apparent mortality rate and lowering the apparent transmission rate) or not reacting fast enough to provide proper care.

Is it something to keep an eye on? Certainly. But for now, simple precautions like washing your hands, not touching strangers, and getting plenty of rest should suffice?
                                B♭3

Comment

Working...
                                X