N. Korea launches rocket, defying world pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
    I would scale them back too if they weren't doing anything but raising prices. I guess he's got at least a little bit of common sense.
    I'll take that as a "no" on whether you know anything about the reforms or not.

I took the liberty of editing the post above with a snapshot of them, but by all means, don't take my word for it. Do the work and have a look for yourself.

-=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx View Post
      I'll take that as a "no" on whether you know anything about the reforms or not.

I took the liberty of editing the post above with a snapshot of them, but by all means, don't take my word for it. Do the work and have a look for yourself.

-=Vel=-
      http://foreign.senate.gov/testimony/...mony040302.pdf

There is no denying the significance of the ... reforms. They represent the first attempt in the regime's history at widescale economic reform.

The solution is not market reform, but hammers see only nails.

I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I'm not denying the significance of those first steps at all, but they ARE first steps (and by themselves, not sufficient to make a huge impact). And the government policies were born on the informal barter markets that sprang up in response to the government's failure to provide even basic necessities for the people.

The solution isn't more of the same failed ideologies (you know...the ones that have served the North Korean masses so well over the last few decades and turned the country into a workers' paradise), but hammers see only nails.

-=Vel=-

EDIT: Or is that anvils? Hammers and anvils? hmm...
        The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

The price of rice increases by 600 percent in 2 years. And do you know what widescale means?

There's no doubt that the government has failed horribly. The only issue here is whether the solution is market reform, and it clearly is not.

Comment

The price of rice increases by 600 percent in 2 years. And do you know what widescale means?

There's no doubt that the government has failed horribly. The only issue here is whether the solution is market reform, and it clearly is not.
            Riiiiight, because the current system has, and is continuing to serve them so well.

I've only ever put one person on my ignore list.

You make the second. That takes some doing!

-=Vel=-
            Last edited by Velociryx; April 8, 2009, 15:01.

Comment

Riiiiight, because the current system has, and is continuing to serve them so well.

-=Vel=-

Significant widescale market reform has caused rice prices to increase by 600 percent in 2 years, but hey lets move them forward.

Go ahead and put me on ignore. I knew you ignored facts, but this is just absurd to the extreme.

Comment

By the way...for anyone who buys into Kid's tripe, the following link might make for some good reading:

Note that the price has fallen because a) they had a good harvest (I wonder...in all Kid's "blame the market mania" if he ever considered that poor harvests might have had something to do with the run up? Or the uncertainty surrounding dear leader's new policies might have led to confusion on the collective farms? Ahhh, but no matter), and b) Because farmers were taking their state rations and selling them in those farmer's markets I mentioned that began as barter arrangements and later got made official by the government.

Market in action!

-=Vel=-

Comment

-=Vel=-
                  You'll be sorry when he gets to the punchline.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

By the way...for anyone who buys into Kid's tripe, the following link might make for some good reading:

Note that the price has fallen because a) they had a good harvest (I wonder...in all Kid's "blame the market mania" if he ever considered that poor harvests might have had something to do with the run up? Or the uncertainty surrounding dear leader's new policies might have led to confusion on the collective farms? Ahhh, but no matter), and b) Because farmers were taking their state rations and selling them in those farmer's markets I mentioned that began as barter arrangements and later got made official by the government.

Market in action!

-=Vel=-
                    Food prices aren't the only prices that have increased. For example, the price of electricity has increased even more than food. Are you having fun in your little fantasy world.

Comment

What I find absolutely FABULOUS about Kid is that he's never daunted. As soon as one argument gets shown to be full of holes or nonsense (ie., the price of food having plummeted again, and demonstrably due to those wretched market forces), we simply shift to something else without missing a beat, and all the while, continuing to beat that same tired drum.

One would think that after a sufficient number of iterations, reality might start sinking in, but truly, The Kidicious One has a skull thicker and more resistant to reality than anything I have ever encountered.

In a way, it's a pity he does not embrace the Market. If he did, he could have that wonderful material that his noggin is fashioned from patented and make a KILLING!

-=Vel=-

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
                        North Korea becoming a failed state will not trigger them invading South Korea. What line of thought are you following to come to that conculsion?
                        The South simply cannot afford it. Invasion in terms of refugees is likely, which would overtax the system. Add to it the disparity between North and South being orders of magnitude larger than East and West Germany, and you have a societal, economic, and humanitarian nightmare.
                        B♭3

Comment

"Market reform", in the case of North Korea, in terms of creating the small black markets where food and goods are traded, has become the only reliable way of obtaining food in North Korea.

Though it enriches those in power with no scruples, it's better than removing the markets wholesale.
                          B♭3

Comment

Are you retarded?
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

KrazyHorse, be nice. Retarded kids can learn from their mistakes, too.
                              B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Classic View Post
                                "Market reform", in the case of North Korea, in terms of creating the small black markets where food and goods are traded, has become the only reliable way of obtaining food in North Korea.
                                They removed food rationing. Stop acting like you know what you're talking about.

Comment

Working...
                                X