I need a new genre author

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia View Post
    Of course, that was before I watched the Prequel Trilogy...
    Is that completely fair? I thought the third of those, on the conversion to the darkside was quite good. Clearly we all took the first three more seriously than Lucas. The so-called prequels were very mixed in terms of presentation, and were much farther from the Joseph Campbell epic-style myth than the three made first, but now called 4, 5, and 6.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I didn't enjoy a single one of the prequels, although I agree with you that Episode III was by far the best of the bunch. I saw Ep I at the theaters, but I waited till II and III came out on TV.

Of the originals, I liked V the most by far, but IV and VI were not bad by any means. I can't say the same for I through III sadly

I read the first Dune and thought it was good. I watched the Dune movie and thought, mostly, WTF!
      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Christopher Moore has a new book out, "Fool." It's his take on King Lear (from the court jester's perspective).
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Hey Rufus, my wife just gave me a recommendation (out of the blue, somehow she related your search to a new acquaintance/former bookseller), who immediately suggested this author.

(This is my way of saying: I have nothing to do with this.)

Author: Lee Child (a Brit)
          Series: Jack Reacher
          Genre: thriller, ex-military cop

There's 13 of them. Decide for yourself: http://www.leechild.com/
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Hey, thanks! I'm about to start what looks like a promising read from British author David Peace:

His latest novel, Tokyo Year Zero (2007), follows the investigations of a Tokyo detective in the aftermath of Japan's defeat in World War II. It is based on the true story of serial killer Yoshio Kodaira. It is the first of Peace's novels to be set outside the West Riding of Yorkshire and forms the first part of a trio of books on the US occupation of Japan. The second book, due out in August 2009, will be called Occupied City, with the final one tentatively titled Tokyo Regained.
            Sounds cool, doesn't it? But I'll also check out Child. Thanks again!
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
              Hey Rufus, my wife just gave me a recommendation (out of the blue, somehow she related your search to a new acquaintance/former bookseller), who immediately suggested this author.

I have to agree... I just discovered Lee Child about a month ago, and have already read the first nine books in the Jack Reacher series. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Sounds great. I just read his bio on Wiki, and apparently he began his career on British TV, working on Prime Suspect and the absolutely incredible Cracker. I'm sold. Maybe I'll hit teh bookstore tonight...
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post

Jack Reacher.

btw Reacher is ex-US Army.
                  And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                    I would heavily recommend Pratchett and say start with Guards Guards (what I started with, and still possibly my favorite).

JM
                    I heard that Guards Guards was also his personal favorite, because of the way it all tied together at the end.

I read it and didn't particularly like it. Most of his books were okay to pass the time, but the only one I really liked was Pyramids (the first I ever read), and the one I disliked the most was Interesting Times (also the last I ever read).
                    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

What did you think of Small Gods? It is the other one that is a contender for my favorite.

Pyramids is better than most, but not my favorite I Think.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                      X