I need a new genre author

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a new genre author

Okay, here's the deal: mostly, when it comes to fiction, I read what might be called "serious modern fiction," and that's mostly what I like. But when I'm working on something that leaves me pretty brain-dead -- like, say, trying to achieve basic competence in a language as beastly as Dari -- I like to unwind with genre fiction. Way too much liberal arts education along with a steady diet of Man-Booker winners, however, has left me with pretty high standards for things like use of language, structure, complexity of themes and characters, etc., and that's where most genre fiction falls down.

As far as I'm concerned, the God of quality genre fiction is John LeCarre, but I've pretty much exhausted his stuff. Ditto crime writers -- my favorite genre -- like Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, James M. Cain, Jim Thompson, Chester Himes, Walter Mosely, James Ellroy, and Elmore Leonard. I generally can't abide scifi (that'll make me a bunch of friends here, I'm sure ), but I have run through William Gibson and as much Neal Stephenson as I could stand (basically, up though Cryptonomicon, which I loved; Baroque cycle, not so much). I don't know if that helps triangulate my tastes any, but there it is.

I have an extremely smart friend whose taste I generally trust pushing Anne Rice, but I'm dubious. Instead I'm reading Tony Hillerman, who's okay but a bit "light" for my tastes.

Help!

Thanks.
    Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly; March 17, 2009, 21:49.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

You might like Neil Gaiman.

Comment

You know, by wild coincidence he showed up on Colbert (the 8.30 pm rerun) while I was typing the OP. Is American Gods the best place to start?
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Honestly, I'd say the Sandman comics are the best place to start, but American Gods is also very good.

Comment

Hmmmm. Donna Leone is a good crime writer (Inspector Brunetti series); main character is a police inspector in Venice, very good at writing his character and about things other than JUST the crime, as well as interactions with his superiors and the bureaucracy.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly View Post
            You know, by wild coincidence he showed up on Colbert (the 8.30 pm rerun) while I was typing the OP. Is American Gods the best place to start?
            For someone more used to traditional literature, probably. It's his best "traditional literature" by far. It's also fairly serious, though.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
              For someone more used to traditional literature, probably. It's his best "traditional literature" by far. It's also fairly serious, though.
              Second this. His other novels are a lot more conventional urban fantasy.
              Last edited by Kuciwalker; March 17, 2009, 21:49.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                Hmmmm. Donna Leone is a good crime writer (Inspector Brunetti series); main character is a police inspector in Venice, very good at writing his character and about things other than JUST the crime, as well as interactions with his superiors and the bureaucracy.
                Sounds interesting. Thanks for the suggestion, and for chiming in on Gaiman.

Comment

Another vote for Gaiman in general, and American Gods in particular.

You also mentioned Stephenson in your first post. I quite enjoyed his most recent book, Anathem. Quite a bit denser than, say, Snow Crash, but still an excellent novel.
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Bujold amd Ian Banks both write sf but also other types of genre fiction. Both are also some of the best writers in sf at least.

I think for Ian Banks they are generally different books, for Bujold some of her sci fi is also mystery/etc.

Both are much better, I think, than Ann Rice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lois_McMaster_Bujold (sci fi, fantasy, romance, mystery)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Banks (Sci fi and mainstream)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Simmons (Horror and sci fi)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Wolfe (sci fi and fantasy - I know, not your genres but still maybe the best living in those genres so I think I will include him)

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Anathem probably isn't particularly relaxing, particularly if you didn't enjoy

Of Jon's list, for someone with your taste in SF/F I would only consider Simmons or perhaps Banks of that list (of excellent authors); both tend towards literary, while Bujold and Wolfe are more traditional SF/F. Simmons' stuff usually has some interesting philosophy in it; particularly Hyperion. Banks' books are also quite literary (in fact, he writes quite a lot of literary non-SF as well as SF). Also quite philosophical (see a trend...)

Comment

While I agree that the Book of the Long Sun/etc has its roots in Dying Earth, it is far better and arguably one of the best sci fi books out there. Wolfe is a very deep writer I feel dealing with philosophy, memory, the nature of identity/etc. And you can't classify Peace as traditional SF/F...

Bujold I will agree has books that are more traditional SF/F, however, many of her books are SF/F and romance or SF/F and mystery or other such things.

Hyperion is in my opinion the best of Simmons books and the main reason I recommend him.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Actually, if you don't mind another SF recommend, Kristine Kathryn Rusch's Retrieval Artists series is an interesting SF/detective novel adventure combination as well, and rather short reads.

Also, if you like history, have you considered Alan Furst? He writes some very good WWII spy novels.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                            While I agree that the Book of the Long Sun/etc has its roots in Dying Earth, it is far better and arguably one of the best sci fi books out there. Wolfe is a very deep writer I feel. And you can't classify Peace as traditional SF/F...

Bujold I will agree has books that are more traditional SF/F, however, many of her books are SF/F and romance or SF/F and mystery or other such things.

JM
                            You have to think like a bookseller in threads like this, and fortunately there I have experience Gene Wolfe is an excellent SF/F writer (both), one of the best I've read. He's also a very traditional SF/F writer, and does not generally have cross-genre appeal, and to someone who doesn't like SF/F, isn't really the right recommend. Not that he might not enjoy Wolfe, but the odds are against it.

Recommending books - and accepting recommendations - is a very tricky business. There's a reason that there are so many genres and sub-genres, and so many books in the bookstore; everyone has different ideas of what they like. The key in both, is identifying what else the recmomendee has read and enjoyed, and finding books that fit that profile.

Comment

My wife is a serious reader who seemed to "get" your OP. She suggests that, since you agree with her on LeCarre, maybe you'd like Len Deighton .
                              -She says yes to Gaiman ("the man can write").
                              She hates Ann Rice.
                              She suggests Orson Scott Card if you are considering a scifi attempt.

Me, I know brain-dead, and prefer a side of twisted. I would suggest Terry Pratchett, a master wordsmith and brilliant satirist who is funny as hell. The series is Discworld. If braindead-with-quality is required, he's your guy. (He's also co-written with Gaiman a bit.)
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                              X