No announcement yet.

I need a new genre author

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

--"Still, if I want to give him a go, where in his enormous bibliography should I start? "

Several people have recommended "Guards!, Guards!", which is a good choice, especially if you like crime/detective novels. With your mention of liberal arts education, I would suggest either that or "Wyrd Sisters", which has plenty of Hamlet mixed in. Either is a good place to start. As Jon and Zkribbler have mentioned, the first two or three are skippable. They do some world establishment, but it's not hard to pick up on, and the first few are more straight-up fantasy parodies than anything. The two I mentioned above are really where he hits his stride and establishes his own voice.

--"If you are looking for off-beat humor, then Christopher Moore is infinitely better than Pratchett."

Haven't read of his stuff, so I can't compare yet. Have to keep an eye out next time I go to Half-Price Books.

I coincidentally ran across this link today, and thought people in this thread would find it amusing. It's a number of Two Cow jokes based on sci-fi and fantasy authors.

It also reminded me of another author you might be interested in. H. P. Lovecraft. ^_^

Wraith
    H.P. Lovecraft - In the Stygian blackness that surrounds men and all of creation you acquire two cows. They whisper unknowable things to you at night. You mind bleeds with images drawn from the darkest wells of the universe even as you sense a mere fragment of the elder gods shadow your every thought. Slowly, you suspect you have become mad as you rave these truths to your fellow human beings even as your plead to your cows to stop their whispering to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon View Post
      Dennis Lehane
      I'm glad somebody mentioned this. All I know about Lehane I know from the two superb movies made from his work, Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone (the latter I think two superior of the two). But these two films have in common endangered children. I can't read Andrew Vachss because, though I think he's a good writer, endangered children aren't a theme to which I wish to unwind. Is Lehane teh same way, or are the similarities between Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone a coincidence?

@Alinestra Covelia: If that works, make sure to show your roommate the movie they made out of Spy Who Came in from the Cold with Richard Burton. It's the other great LeCarre adaptation.
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Pratchett is overrated and gets kinda repetitive. You can only read so much of him before you know the entire story from the blurb on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
          Pratchett is overrated and gets kinda repetitive. You can only read so much of him before you know the entire story from the blurb on the back.
          There were a few repetitive themes in the middle of the series (Soul Music, Moving Pictures, Masquerade) but he gets past that and his later books are his finest imo. Night Watch is one of the best takes on the Time-travel theme I've encountered. The blurb on the back generally damages most books for me, and I try to avoid reading it.

I'd agree with those that recommend Guards Guards as the place to start. Vimes is the best central character he's written, and all of the Watch series are excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon View Post
            Only a trilogy, IIRC.
            He only wrote six good novels. Four of the five HHG 'trilogy' and the two Dirk Gently. The last HHG was weak, and the ending was terrible.

The problem with Adams was that despite his genius, he actually hated writing. He just wanted to spend the fat advance without actually doing any work. The publisher had to employ someone full-time just to try and persuade him to write something. Most of what he did actually manage to write though, was a rare and beautiful treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly View Post
              I'm glad somebody mentioned this. All I know about Lehane I know from the two superb movies made from his work, Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone (the latter I think two superior of the two). But these two films have in common endangered children. I can't read Andrew Vachss because, though I think he's a good writer, endangered children aren't a theme to which I wish to unwind. Is Lehane teh same way, or are the similarities between Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone a coincidence?

I'd say it's a coincidence. But it probably has something to do with why they made movies of them.

His debut novel, A Drink Before the War, won a Shamus award (best first detective novel). Other Kenzie-Gennaro books followed: Darkness Take My Hand, Sacred, Gone Baby Gone, and Prayers for Rain.

Then came Mystic River, Shutter Island, Coronado (a collection of short stories), and The Given Day.

I've read all the novels; haven't finished Coronado yet.

Oops, forgot about Adams' Dirk Gently books. I haven't read those.
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

what about some of the dune series? i'm working my way through the 'house' trilogy written by kevin anderson and brian herbert. i think i like the new style better. it flows better and is a bit less ponderous than herbert's original text.
                I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul is excellent. I'm still in denial on Adams' tragic early death.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                    He only wrote six good novels. Four of the five HHG 'trilogy' and the two Dirk Gently. The last HHG was weak, and the ending was terrible.

The problem with Adams was that despite his genius, he actually hated writing. He just wanted to spend the fat advance without actually doing any work. The publisher had to employ someone full-time just to try and persuade him to write something. Most of what he did actually manage to write though, was a rare and beautiful treasure.
                    I actually liked "Mostly Harmless" for its incredible bleakness.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                      ... Night Watch is one of the best takes on the Time-travel theme I've encountered.
                      Night Watch is a terrific book, but not the place to start. Prachett references too many other previous books in it. It's a little better if you read those first.

what about some of the dune series?
                      Good lord, I HATED those!

Comment

i'm working my way through the 'house' trilogy written by kevin anderson and brian herbert. i think i like the new style better. it flows better and is a bit less ponderous than herbert's original text.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler View Post
                          Night Watch is a terrific book, but not the place to start. Prachett references too many other previous books in it. It's a little better if you read those first.

Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut View Post
                          i'm working my way through the 'house' trilogy written by kevin anderson and brian herbert. i think i like the new style better. it flows better and is a bit less ponderous than herbert's original text.

I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                          [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

I haven't read those, but I'm not surprised they suck. Kevin J Anderson just can't write.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                              Kevin J Anderson just can't write.
                              Quoted for truth. His Star Wars novels were awful, especially coming after the high quality of the Timothy Zahn novels. At the time, I was amazed that Lucas let this hack even touch the SW franchise.

Of course, that was before I watched the Prequel Trilogy...
                              "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Dune, the original work, was both delightful and intelligent, bringing a complex world and an interplanetary social structure to light in order to reveal an extreme weakness in intelligence by the spacemen regarding what the think they see. For people who like science fiction or military fiction, Frank Herbert writes a magnificent tale. All the rest of the Dune series sucks although Herbert's writing remains rich and nuanced. The more recent books by folks other than Herbert are both flat and poorly written -- worthless (i.e., more valuable as recycle than reading). Unless Rufus is looking for science fiction or military fiction, I wouldn't recommend Dune. I wouldn't recommend the rest of the series to anyone.
                                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                                X