Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darius871 View Post
    Yes, why?
    Just checking. It puts a lot of things into perspective.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Don't make the mistake of presuming anything I say is remotely serious. This includes that post as well as this one, and perhaps the next one.
      Unbelievable!

Comment

You are correct, this is the internet.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Do you really think that all the fabulously wealthy traders, who made their fortunes investing other people's money, did not know what was going on? C'mon, Asher, you are smarter than that. The run-up added $50 - 70 trillion to the wealth of the world and the traders got 1 - 3 per cent. Now the whole thing is running down ($30 trillion gone so far) and the traders are making money on the dumping too. People were getting bonuses in the $2 - 10 million dollar range to run the banks into the ground. Doesn't take many such bonuses/fees to put one in retirement shape, whatever your age. They knew. they just didn't care. Their political friends rewrote things so that negligence on that scale has no real legal or economic consequences as long as they paid their taxes. Apparently the Government is not so hard over on paying taxes either as long as your income is in the millions based on recent confirmation experience.
          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer View Post
            Do you really think that all the fabulously wealthy traders, who made their fortunes investing other people's money, did not know what was going on? C'mon, Asher, you are smarter than that.
            I spent 2 years dealing directly with the traders on a daily basis trading mortgage-backed securities, among other things. I can confidently say most of them had no idea what they were doing. They were told "it's safe, it's good". If the risk system showed a green light for them, there were no questions asked.

These instruments were so incredibly complex very, very few people in the world knew how they worked. For a while I was implementing some of these algorithms in the risk system to try to evaluate the risk, and the math involved behind these is mind-numbingly obtuse.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
              Really, we have computers doing better jobs at flying airplanes than humans.
              Not sure this is the best example given the Buffalo crash is being tentatively blamed on the pilot using autopilot in difficult conditions...
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                Not sure this is the best example given the Buffalo crash is being tentatively blamed on the pilot using autopilot in difficult conditions...
                Actually, the most recent indications are the pilot may've overreacted and canceled the auto-stall recovery's "push-stick" solution (which puts the plane into a dive to gain speed and avoid a stall). By pulling the plane out of the dive, he created a stall. That's why the plane didn't land nose-first, but belly-first.

The probable cause for the crash is likely to be "pilot error"...so I rest my case.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

IIRC, on Airbus planes, pilots cannot override the stall avoidance system (they can on Bombardiers, and the indications here are that is what happened).

Comment

I admire Asher's ability to make things up to support his argument. Those last two posts are like a graduate thesis in bull****ting with a straight face.

Comment

I'm a consultant. It's what we do.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        IIRC, on Airbus planes, pilots cannot override the stall avoidance system (they can on Bombardiers, and the indications here are that is what happened).
                        Here's a citation for this, for the people who doubt my aviation knowledge.

Page 6

The FBW flight control system utilized in the Airbus design prevents the pilot from stalling
                        the aircraft (an AOA margin is maintained). The aircraft can not be commanded to exceed
                        +2.5 gs or Ð1 g clean, or +2.0 or 0.0 gs with the flaps extended. The pitch attitude is limited
                        to 30 degrees nose up to 15 degrees nose low. The bank angle is limited to 67 degrees. If the
                        side stick is held full foreword, the speed will stabilize at Vmo +16 knots and Mmo + .04
                        Mach. The protections can be lost through multiple system failures but, there is no approved
                        or readily discernable method for the pilot to over-ride the flight envelope protections.
                        Historically, there have been zero planes lost due to stalling on aircraft equipped with a FBW (fly-by wire) anti-stall mechanism, whereby the pilot is locked out of control while the computer recovers the aircraft.

Comment

That is such complete and utter bull**** I now cannot even let it go without responding. That is when you know you have mastered the art. mad:

Stalls have been caused by lack of fuel. Does the anti stall mechanism also refuel the mother****er?

Stalls have been caused by ice gathering on the wings. Is the anti stall mechanism a ****ING ICE REMOVER TOO :L,ad:

Stalls have been caused by bird strikes in the engine. Does your anti stall fairy also land the plane in the Hudson for you?

DAVID BECKHAM

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                            That is such complete and utter bull**** I now cannot even let it go without responding. That is when you know you have mastered the art. mad:

Stalls have been caused by lack of fuel. Does the anti stall mechanism also refuel the mother****er?
                            No airbusses with FBW controls have been lost due to lack of fuel.

Stalls have been caused by ice gathering on the wings. Is the anti stall mechanism a ****ING ICE REMOVER TOO :L,ad:
                            No, but it automatically maneuvers the plane to gain speed and maintain its flight envelope if ice compromises lift.

Stalls have been caused by bird strikes in the engine. Does your anti stall fairy also land the plane in the Hudson for you?
                            Planes can land themselves, yes.

Comment

No airbusses with FBW controls have been lost due to lack of fuel.
                              Yes they have. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_236

Oh, and they've stalled and crashed too. http://poneke.wordpress.com/2009/01/18/airbus/

Where's that bend over video I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                                You have an odd definition of "stalled and crashed":
                                The flight crew successfully landed the plane in the Azores with no loss of life.[1]

Where's that bend over video I have.
                                I just bent you over like a Republican intern and went to town like Trent Lott on a page boy.

Comment

Working...
                                X