How's Civ IV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's Civ IV?

I left the Civ universe during Civ 3 days, and if I have time for it I mostly play Paradox games these days (or rather I spend more time modding than playing). Just got EU: Rome/VV some time ago but I'm a bit disappointed by it.

So how's Civ IV? I saw a complete pack (Civ IV plus two XPs) at Amazon.de for ca. 20 €. How's modding there?

I could have asked in the Civ IV fora, but I think they'll laugh about me there, them bastards, cuz I'm still a Civ IV n00b.
    Blah

Civ IV was pretty good, last I played. Haven't the multiplayers (Ming, rah, etc.) moved from Civ II to Civ IV?

When's Civ V coming out? That's the question.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Civ IV is excellent, I still play it regularly with friends.

And Firaxis had better make SMAC II before Civ V

Comment

Why?
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Best guess would be Febuary through late October 09, and I'd expect teh latter; that's 4 years after CIV was released, and CIV was released 4 years after C3 was released.
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
            Civ IV is excellent, I still play it regularly with friends.

And Firaxis had better make SMAC II before Civ V
            Good troll
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I love CIV IV. I still play it (with the 2nd expansion, fully patched) consistently.

As for modding... well, it's both great and terrible. Great b/c apparently you can do damn near anything. Terrible because you have to be a wiz to do it. There is no editor like Civ2 (eventually) had. Some people have put together impressive scenarios/modpacks, but it's waaaaaay beyond me.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian View Post
                I love CIV IV. I still play it (with the 2nd expansion, fully patched) consistently.

As for modding... well, it's both great and terrible. Great b/c apparently you can do damn near anything. Terrible because you have to be a wiz to do it. There is no editor like Civ2 (eventually) had. Some people have put together impressive scenarios/modpacks, but it's waaaaaay beyond me.

-Arrian
                download them to the C:\programs\firaxis\BtS\mods folder and it works.

Comment

I agree with Arrian's comments.
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

We won't laugh, there is some crossover OT - Civ IV. If you ever played Civ II, Civ IV Beyond the Sword (BTS) has a similar pace but with an infinitely smarter AI and a system that prevents overgrowth in the early period. I can't speak to modding as a process, but I do see quite a few mods out there. The Civ IV forums include one on the subject; maybe you could get a rise there. Otherwise, just come to the general forum and ask directly. A few modders hang about there for sure.
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Krill View Post
                      download them to the C:\programs\firaxis\BtS\mods folder and it works.

I assumed Arrian was refering to the good and bad issues of making mods, not how to use them.
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I didn't much care for Civ. III, so I ignored Civ IV for a long time. Then Lancer sat me down and had a little talk with me. I first got Civ IV -- Warlords; it was good. Then I bought the "Beyond the Sword" expansion; it is great!!

Corporations are still a little hinkie and I hope they get to be more understandable in Civ. V. But the use of culture, spies, religion, etc. in BtS adds diminsions to the game which take my breath away!

Comment

Otherwise, just come to the general forum and ask directly. A few modders hang about there for sure.

Very few: the civ forums on this site died a long time ago, now CFC is freaking massive compared to us.

Comment

Civ4 is really good. I didn't do any modding but the regular gameplay plus expansions was enough to keep me occupied for years (with my limited time to play).
                            Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Krill, we know what to do with the mods; it's the skill required to produce the mod that is beyond us.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                              X