X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Victor Galis View Post
    Except not in this climate.

I'm not going to argue about the specific spending provisions, as I've already stated that I believe the immediate stimulus needs to be split from the long-term spending and the latter needs to be justified on its own merits. I happen to like most of the things that are being cut I'm afraid they'll be cut and never come back if they don't really get enough debate time, which they won't if the bill is kept in one piece and rammed through.

We might have to try the create inflation so we can cut real interest rates further approach .
    It's easy enough to laugh, but, you tell me what he actually said.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
      That's fine, they just don't belong in an emergency stimulus bill that has to be passed NOW, NOW, NOW!!
      I don't know... if any of those create jobs in the next few months, they belong in the emergency stimulus. The science funding might meet that criteria.

It's easy enough to laugh, but, you tell me what he actually said.
      I'm laughing because we might have to print money, which some economists had suggested might not be a bad idea since we're facing possible deflation.
      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
      -Joan Robinson

Comment

I don't know... if any of those create jobs in the next few months, they belong in the emergency stimulus. The science funding might meet that criteria.
        I don't think it is simply about creating jobs, because you could spend $800 billion on hiring people to dig holes and fill them up and that'd be creating jobs in the next few months.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• The education funding and Pell grants would be spent immediately. There are huge holes in education budgets across the country.

And large chunk of the other stuff could be spent fairly soon.

The bulk of the list there that isn't a particularly good immediate stimulus - science funding (i.e. NSF), broadband, some of that energy funding, happen to be great long term investments. I don't see the case for splitting that up into a seperate bill unless you're trying to kill these initiatives.

Let's be honest here. The unifying factor of the programs that the "centrists" want to cut isn't that they're not good stimulus. For example, they want to cut aid to states, which is generally regarded as great stimulus. Rather, these programs have relatively weak political constituencies.
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
            I don't think it is simply about creating jobs, because you could spend $800 billion on hiring people to dig holes and fill them up and that'd be creating jobs in the next few months.
            Or build a bridge that doesn't go anywhere.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

I'm laughing because we might have to print money, which some economists had suggested might not be a bad idea since we're facing possible deflation.
              Did those economists consider what usually happens in countries that print money to pay the bills?
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• There are huge holes in the science budget also.

We haven't been funded for years...

And we have lost scientists and projects over it. Ones that already had resources put into them.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• There are huge holes in the science budget also.

We haven't been funded for years...

And we have lost scientists and projects over it. Ones that already had resources put into them.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• The biological sciences have been funded handsomely. Priorities have been set.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Which is why NSF funding should be cut?

And about that NIH funding - terrible investment, that. It's not like we have the most badass biotech industry in the world. Too bad our public servants didn't have the wisdom to throw that into, say, estate tax cuts.
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramo View Post
                        The bulk of the list there that isn't a particularly good immediate stimulus - science funding (i.e. NSF), broadband, some of that energy funding, happen to be great long term investments. I don't see the case for splitting that up into a seperate bill unless you're trying to kill these initiatives.
                        Or rather, let's judge them on their own merits rather than fear-mongering to pass it ASAP without much debate.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Senators can offer amendments to kill any part of the bill. It's going through significant change as we speak. There is debate. It's not as if the bill were presented to the Senate for an immediate vote.

Functionally, tossing a lot of these programs into a seperate bill is about killing them through process. Since you need 60 votes to do damn near anything in the chamber.
                          -Bokonon

Comment

• Personally I think a lot of the long term spending would be good (if we can afford it as well.. especially if the Congress goes ahead with plans to "fix" health care this year), but there is far more time for discussion and debate on general budget bills than on this "stimulus", which is meant to prevent the economy from falling into the abyss (by definition a short term thing).

The debate and changes its going through are less than a general budget bill would be and it is recieving all sorts of angry arguments and charges of obstruction for it from the left!

Comment

• There have been a good number of amendments put up to vote. And most of the votes to cut spending lost. Putting long term spending (which, again, is a relatively small part of the bill) into a seperate bill is about trying to kill it, not discuss it. If you don't like the spending, that's one thing. But this process trivia is ridiculous.
                              -Bokonon

Comment

• I'd rather have it in a seperate bill as I don't think it fits in a stimulus and there can be further time to go over it. I mean seriously, why not put the entire omnibus budget on this sped-up time frame, as there is plenty of time for amendments.

Comment

Working...
                                X