No announcement yet.

Senator Ted Kennedy collapses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again, I'll concede the greeks, to me that's never been a debate in this thread.
    I started this by saying that Kennedy is a shmuck for calling out someone for being a sexist by association while he was a due paying member of the owl club. One that is sexist because it excludes women.
    I stand by that and am willing to answer any challange to it. Unless you've insulted my wife, in which case you don't have anything to say that i want to hear.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by solomwi View Post
      byrd probably just finally realized a black man was president.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
        You do that.
        So is there really a moral difference between a group having men only to sing music versus a group having men only to eat/read/play games/etc.?

The various clubs like the Owl Club (and there are 5 all-female clubs at Harvard in the same vein) seem to be pretty similar to fraternities, so rah's exception should apply.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Do I look like rah to you? I don't agree with excluding frats here (in fact, they're one of the worst!). I believe there is a reason for PARENTS to want frats to remain all-boys, but I think it is a flawed reason (no sex, which ain't happening nowadays).

There is (something of) a moral distinction to be made between "clubs started by the privileged class" and "clubs started by a non-privileged class". I actually prefer not to make that distinction (and as a result, would prefer that the Gay Men's Choir allow females or straight males in who can sing to their standards) but it's not an inherently wrong reasoning, given the basis for my argument (exclusionary clubs -> disenfranchising minority groups), as the Gay Men's Choir is not going to disenfranchise anyone (not in the voting sense, but in the power sense).
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• To clarify, the Gay Mens Chorus does not exclude straight men, it's just the title. But it IS all male, and it's a group that exists purely for recreational purposes. There are also, of course, all-female singing groups as well. Such groups establish their unique character based on their demographic "exclusion," and I don't think the vast majority of people see such groups as wrong to do so. That's because most people differentiate between private organizations and public ones in this regard, although it's inconsistent.

So absent the priveledged vs. non-priveledged argument, would you say it is wrong for a husband to go out on an all-guys night with his friends while not taking his wife?
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• ding dong the witch is dead!

Comment

• Originally posted by ben kenobi View Post
                it would be funnier if you posted that as ali c.
                i am not rah's sock puppet he does not have his hand up my arse check your facts please thanks
                "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                  To clarify, the Gay Mens Chorus does not exclude straight men, it's just the title. But it IS all male, and it's a group that exists purely for recreational purposes. There are also, of course, all-female singing groups as well. Such groups establish their unique character based on their demographic "exclusion," and I don't think the vast majority of people see such groups as wrong to do so. That's because most people differentiate between private organizations and public ones in this regard, although it's inconsistent.

So absent the priveledged vs. non-priveledged argument, would you say it is wrong for a husband to go out on an all-guys night with his friends while not taking his wife?
                  As I said above (multiple times), there is a difference between a few guys getting together, and an organized group. I do not object to guys associating with each other informally ("guys' night out"); but an organized group that is for 'a certain kind of person', and that kind of person is 'men', is damaging to society.

Comment

• I would very much like to see some evidence that all-male singing groups have damaged society. Beyond aural damage, that is.

What about a youth orchestra where the maximum age is 25? Ageist?
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• I don't believe they have... It is, of course, a matter of relative effect. Owl club, by virtue of specifically including the powerful, has the ability to damage society; 'separate but equal' fails in that comparison. All male singing groups or youth orchestra probably does not fail that test, or at least does not badly fail that test.

In the case of a youth orchestra, in any event, we are again talking about a group organized in such a way that it does not exclude the powerless in favor of the empowered - it does if anything the opposite (gives disenfranchised people a chance to succeed). The reason for excluding >25 is not because they want to disadvantage adults, but because if they let in >25 people the kids would be at a disadvantage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia View Post
                        i am not rah's sock puppet he does not have his hand up my arse check your facts please thanks
                        umm..speaking of socks,azz and sweet ali c, i assure you it is a clean thought....

outside the sock, not so much inside the sock...a.k.a. American Pie when Mom and Dad (Eugene Levy) come into the scrambled pron channel
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

As I said above (multiple times), there is a difference between a few guys getting together, and an organized group. I do not object to guys associating with each other informally ("guys' night out"); but an organized group that is for 'a certain kind of person', and that kind of person is 'men', is damaging to society.
                          I see, said the blind man. So,like the Elk's Lodge. The Does weren't good enough, so some decided they wanted to change it, which they did. Good? According to you, yes. To me, it's bull****.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I don't believe they have... It is, of course, a matter of relative effect. Owl club, by virtue of specifically including the powerful, has the ability to damage society; 'separate but equal' fails in that comparison. All male singing groups or youth orchestra probably does not fail that test, or at least does not badly fail that test.

In the case of a youth orchestra, in any event, we are again talking about a group organized in such a way that it does not exclude the powerless in favor of the empowered - it does if anything the opposite (gives disenfranchised people a chance to succeed). The reason for excluding >25 is not because they want to disadvantage adults, but because if they let in >25 people the kids would be at a disadvantage.
                            Arguments of advantage v. disadvantage only really move me in this situation to cases of public organization. No one has a right to membership to a totally private club, legal or otherwise, and therefore I think the question of the empowered vs. the "powerless" is moot. If our political or business systems are such that it allows people to be excluded because they're not in a private club, I'd say that is a fault of the systems, not the clubs.

Regardless, I think it's pretty safe to say that reasons for membership in such a club is an individual thing and chalking it up to discriminatory beliefs is tenuous at best. If a public figure spends his days working to open access to public institutions to all, and then retires to an all-gents clubhouse to have a brandy, I really don't see much of a problem.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• You don't see it as a problem. I see it as hypocrisy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia View Post
                                We finally have proof that Ali is Wiglafs DL!!!
                                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                                X