No announcement yet.

Inauguration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Couldn't they try to get better voice actors?
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
        I had no idea Ben was into Furries.

Eyuggggh....
        He thinks it yiff-tastic.

Comment

Decent speech, but no real iconic phrases or sentances.

You just described every Obama speech.

Comment

WTF... how the hell did yesterday's ratings lose to Reagan??? Weren't there like 100 million less Americans back then?

Nearly 37.8 million Americans watching at home viewed President Barack Obama’s oath of office and inaugural speech between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. ET on January 20, 2009. This is the most viewed inauguration since the record of 41.8 million viewers who watched Ronald Reagan’s 1981 inauguration.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...th-and-speech/
            Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut View Post
              Decent speech, but no real iconic phrases or sentances.

You just described every Obama speech.
              He did say one thing which I liked, but maybe I have heard it elsewhere before?

I don't remember it word for word, but it's something like, "People respect you for what you build, not for what you destroy."
              be free

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871 View Post
                WTF... how the hell did yesterday's ratings lose to Reagan??? Weren't there like 100 million less Americans back then?

Nearly 37.8 million Americans watching at home viewed President Barack Obama’s oath of office and inaugural speech between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. ET on January 20, 2009. This is the most viewed inauguration since the record of 41.8 million viewers who watched Ronald Reagan’s 1981 inauguration.

You forget that we invented the internet since then. The ratings don't measure those watching streaming video online. CNN, CNET, and a bunch of other sites all offered streaming video and all reported record traffic on Tuesday. Using your numbers plus CNN's number's, below, that would put Obama at 45.5 million viewers, almost 4 million more than Reagan -- five million, if you add the extra million+ who were on the Mall (1.8 million vs. Reagan's 0.5 million).

(CNN) -- With many workers stuck at their desks during the late-morning swearing-in of President Obama on Tuesday, more people than ever went online to watch live video of the historic inauguration.

News sites, including CNN.com, shattered records for viewers watching live streaming video online. And, sometimes for the first time, news sites carried video feeds on their front pages.

About 7.7 million people watched the inauguration on Tuesday online at the same time, according to Akamai Technologies Inc. That likely makes the inauguration the single most-watched event in the history of live Web video, according to the company, which handles Web traffic for more than 150 news sites worldwide, including nytimes.com, Ustream, Viacom, WSJ.com and others.

edit - Mrs. Firefly also points out that, thanks to cable (also a largely post-1981 development) many, many more workplaces and public spaces have TVs now than did at the time of the Reagan inauguration -- and that the Nielsen's don't measure the viewing on such TVs. So, basically, fewer people watched the Obama inauguration at home, on a television, but that says more about the changing times and technology than it does about Obama or Reagan.
                Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly; January 22, 2009, 08:52.
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly View Post
                  You forget that we invented the internet since then. The ratings don't measure those watching streaming video online. CNN, CNET, and a bunch of other sites all offered streaming video and all reported record traffic on Tuesday. Using your numbers plus CNN's number's, below, that would put Obama at 45.5 million viewers, almost 4 million more than Reagan -- five million, if you add the extra million+ who were on the Mall (1.8 million vs. Reagan's 0.5 million).

edit - Mrs. Firefly also points out that, thanks to cable (also a largely post-1981 development) many, many more workplaces and public spaces have TVs now than did at the time of the Reagan inauguration -- and that the Nielsen's don't measure the viewing on such TVs. So, basically, fewer people watched the Obama inauguration at home, on a television, but that says more about the changing times and technology than it does about Obama or Reagan.
                  Good, I thought that didn't make any sense.
                  Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871 View Post

They had just survived Carter.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                        Yeah, but that's MSNBC, probably just Olbermann and Mathews booing (if that is what the clip is )
                        I thought the funny bit was Cheney getting whisked off to the side as Bush kept walking forward. The look on his face seemed to be, "Hey! Wait a minute!"
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Even stranger news that I heard after my tour yesterday: There was only one arrest connected to the inauguration that MPD has heard of. Pretty amazing, even if that doesn't factor in Park Police and other agencies who have jurisdiction over the mall.
                          If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly View Post

That would be my guess too. I watched it online as did several people I know.

Comment

A lot of people watched it in groups and love-ins. Plus, with the economy so bad, many people sold their TVs for Obama t-shirts.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch View Post
                                Even stranger news that I heard after my tour yesterday: There was only one arrest connected to the inauguration that MPD has heard of. Pretty amazing, even if that doesn't factor in Park Police and other agencies who have jurisdiction over the mall.
                                Which I'm sure makes somebody assigned to mass arrests incredibly bored.

Bet you didn't think your job would be this action-packed.
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X