Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
    You're pretty cynical. Good for you.

To your main question: I think a lot of people are hurting economically and can use a break in the action. And obviously, a lot of people feel that this election result is pretty historic. So there's a need for some sort of release. And this is it.
    Based on what I saw on the Mall today, I think it's also that folks actually are thrilled to feel like the government belongs to The People again. After 30 years of conservatives denigrating our government, and especially the last 8 years of Bush/Cheney telling people to shut up, stop asking questions, and just enjoy their tax cuts, people really feel excited about again be asked, even urged, to be part of the noble experiment that is American Democracy.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly View Post
      Based on what I saw on the Mall today, I think it's also that folks actually are thrilled to feel like the government belongs to The People again. After 30 years of conservatives denigrating our government, and especially the last 8 years of Bush/Cheney telling people to shut up, stop asking questions, and just enjoy their tax cuts, people really feel excited about again be asked, even urged, to be part of the noble experiment that is American Democracy.

Yeah, I'm sure that'll last. Assuming it's even started in deed as much as word, which isn't a given.

I also find it supremely ironic that you say that while choosing to have Carlin in your sig...

Last edited by Darius871; January 20, 2009, 22:43.
      Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly View Post
        booing (Bush, Cheney, Lieberman)
        hahahahahahaa, classic:

Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871 View Post
          Yeah, I'm sure that'll last. Assuming it's even started in deed as much as word, which isn't a given.

I also find it supremely ironic that you say that while choosing to have Carlin in your sig...
          I've only told you what I've observed, Darius, not what I believe. After all, I work for the government; believe me, I quote Carlin for a reason.
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I knew it wasn't not your belief, but you went so far as to take it seriously. I can't even get there.
            Unbelievable!

Comment

Omg! Omg! Omg! Obama!
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.â€
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

The long national nightmare has finally ended.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I hated the inauguration and all the security associated with it, mainly because I've had to work 12 hour tours since last week, standing by to assist in processing prisoners in case there were mass arrests. I would have much rather been sleeping in my bed than sleeping at a desk at my post.

Upside is that I've done at least $1500 in overtime.
                  If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Ah, the Obama economic stimulus package is working...
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Inauguration without any augurs

Obama
                      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871 View Post
                        hahahahahahaa, classic:

Yeah, but that's MSNBC, probably just Olbermann and Mathews booing (if that is what the clip is )
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I stayed home in Silver Spring, MD. Two million people would have been too much for me.

So, I stayed home (had that day and MLK Jr. Day off from work) and watched the inauguration most of the day on CNN.

As for people's excitement about Obama's inauguration, one reason was already explained. The hunger for change in the midst of a serious recession. But the other reason for the excitement lies with African Americans; many of whom can remember when segregation was legal, and when they were disfranchised. Truly a historic, unprecedented event yesterday!

What did people think of Warren's inovocation? Compared to Robison's invocation on Sunday at Lincoln Memorial?
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

So this is what liberation feels like.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer View Post
                              Darius, context on the photo? What is he reacting to?
                              That picture was in the paper this morning. (a slightly different angle but you can tell it's the same)

Caption below;

THE NEW CHIEF OF LAUGH

No, he wasn't thumbing his nose at ex-White House staffers. At least we don't think he was. As new presidential Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel made his way to his seat for the inauguration, his former congressional colleagues playfully heckled the ex-Illinois congressman from their seats on the inaugural platform. Ever combative-and equally playful-Emanual heckled them back, spokeswoman Sarah Feinberg said.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                                Decent speech, but no real iconic phrases or sentances. Every time though, I wonder how cold they must be in that weather, with just a simple woolen overcoat.
                                Politician speaking = plenty of hot air

Comment

Working...
                                X