No announcement yet.

Inauguration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darius, context on the photo? What is he reacting to?
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I was there, too. We had a blast! Most surprising moment for me was when the crowd (at least where I was, just north of the Washington Monument -- DanS, where were you?) erupted into cheers when Barney Frank appeared on the Jumbotrons. All the other cheering (Obamas, Bidens, Clintons, Gore, Kennedy) and booing (Bush, Cheney, Lieberman) was predictable, but spontaneous applauding of Frank really took me by surprise.

Anyway, great time, great vibe in the crowd, pretty great speech. Glad I went, even if it took me two hour to walk the 1.7 miles back to my apartment.

Obama
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

No parade for you?
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I was at the Lincoln Memorial. We had almost no booing where I was.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer View Post
            No parade for you?
            You have to do one or the other. The parade route was full, and closed, by 10 am, so you could either see the parade but skip the Mall, or vice versa. We went with my daughter and 3 of her friends from college, and they're all headed back to school on a 5:00 bus, so it was the Mall for us; besides, I think we were all more interested in the inaugural address than in the marching bands.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer View Post
              Darius, context on the photo? What is he reacting to?
              No clue, but I'm guessing it's directed at a GOP member.
              Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871 View Post
                No clue, but I'm guessing it's directed at a GOP member.
                I'd love Emanuel forever if it had been Cheney...
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

If that is even his hand.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                    Since the injury was minor, I feel no shame in gloating that glowering Dick Cheney had to endure this in a wheel chair, looking like Mr. Potter the whole time.
                    The minute we saw him, we began doing Potter impersonations. ("You're worth more dead than alive!") Glad we weren't the only ones!

Comment

Roberts tried to sabotage Obama! ****ing up the Oath on purpose, no doubt!

actually a valid theory, IMO.
                      Order of the Fly
                      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ View Post
                        Roberts tried to sabotage Obama! ****ing up the Oath on purpose, no doubt!
                        actually a valid theory, IMO.
                        Seriously, don't they usually pre-arrange where the pauses will be? Copies of what scripts they typically use would settle the question rather easily.
                        Unbelievable!

Comment

Clearly, it was rehearsed. You don't wing it in this situation.

And clearly, someone blew his line.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I know they do, I mean the scripts would settle which one flubbed first.

Anyway about the whole inauguration thing, can someone explain to me what all the teary enthusiasm's about? So another blob of flesh transported itself to a spot, put a portion of itself on a rectangular prism of cellulose matter, moved over to a transducer device, and contracted vocal cords to convey to other blobs of flesh a bunch of sappy hokum that an army of speechwriters previously imprinted onto a piece of cellulose matter. Was there something more to it, like magical pixie dust in the air, or am I just cynical?
                            Last edited by Darius871; January 20, 2009, 22:01.
                            Unbelievable!

Comment

If I'm not mistaken what happened is:

Roberts flubs a line
                              Obama starts repeating but then realizes that Roberts screwed up and stops
                              Roberts flubs the line AGAIN with one word out of place
                              Obama thinks "eh, close enough" and repeats it.
                              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Anyway, can someone explain to me what all the teary enthusiasm's about? So another blob of flesh transported itself to a spot, put a portion of itself on a rectangular prism of cellulose matter, moved over to a transducer device, and contracted vocal cords to convey to other blobs of flesh a bunch of sappy hokum that an army of speechwriters meticulously drafted in advance. Was there something more to it, like magical pixie dust in the air, or am I just cynical?
                                You're pretty cynical. Good for you.

To your main question: I think a lot of people are hurting economically and can use a break in the action. And obviously, a lot of people feel that this election result is pretty historic. So there's a need for some sort of release. And this is it.
                                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                                X