Downloading & Trying Windows 7 Beta Public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onodera View Post
    I've never had any speed issues with Vista. Yes, I have a dual-core machine with 2 gigs of RAM. I've been running Vista since summer 2007, and haven't had to reinstall it since.
    Speed issue in gaming was the main reason I switched back to WinXP during fall 2007. There is some games benchmark which compared pre Vista SP1 & post Vista SP1 & WinXP SP3. It seems that SP1, fixed many performance issue.
    bleh

Comment

Originally posted by CrONoS View Post
      Speed issue in gaming was the main reason I switched back to WinXP during fall 2007. There is some games benchmark which compared pre Vista SP1 & post Vista SP1 & WinXP SP3. It seems that SP1, fixed many performance issue.
      I set up a gaming rig to combat this

Of course, top of the line at one month doesnt mean forever....amazing how quick technology advancements become available.
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by CrONoS View Post
        It's not even that, it was 99% of the time just immature graphics drivers for Vista from Nvidia and ATI. Now their Vista ones are primary and they backport them to XP, so the Vista ones tend to be the best.

Before the Vista ones were quick ports from XP which didn't work very well.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I'm curious what games will be like in the future.

I can see the keyboard being integrated into the screen itself, thus eliminating just about everything that makes up a computer, I suppose computers/laptops of the future will just be screens.
          be free

Comment

I worked for a week on the multi-touch Virtual Earth frontend that you see in that video briefly. My company made the whole thing.

In fact it's a surprisingly huge part of our business now. Militaries and government love it especially, both on MS Surface tables and on large multitouch displays...
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Here's a demo video (10MB, MP4 format) of one of our government versions of the Surface front-end for Virtual Earth, from about 1.5 years ago. It's cooler now but the new versions are not public.

Comment

Link doesn't work.

I still want to know what games will be like!
                be free

Comment

When is Windows 7 due out?

Comment

Originally posted by FrostyBoy View Post
                    Link doesn't work.
                    Oh well. It was really cool! Guess outsiders can't access it.

As for games, we've developed a multi-touch Surface-based two-user Tetris game that is surprisingly cool.

The Surface SDK actually supports XNA natively for games.

Edit: Video link for the Virtual Earth on Surface demo: http://rapidshare.com/files/182447731/Surface.mp4.html
                    Last edited by Asher; January 12, 2009, 10:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto View Post
                      When is Windows 7 due out?
                      Late 2009 or early 2010. No firm date.

Comment

I can see the keyboard being integrated into the screen itself, thus eliminating just about everything that makes up a computer, I suppose computers/laptops of the future will just be screens.
                        God, I hope not.
                        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I'm sure some will. Most won't.

FWIW, "virtual keyboards" are banned on MS Surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                            Late 2009 or early 2010. No firm date.
                            Yeah, I think its basically "when its ready".
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Deep inside the Windows 7 Public Beta: an in-depth tour:

Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Looks pretty nice.

Also, I noticed from the in-depth tour:

ZDNet performed some benchmarks which purport to show Windows 7 being faster than XP SP3 and Vista SP1 (they also show Vista being faster than XP in a number of tests, but of course, no one cares about that...)
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X