Downloading & Trying Windows 7 Beta Public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downloading & Trying Windows 7 Beta Public

After having read many reviews of Windows 7, I decided to give it a try.

I'm downloading it directly from Microsoft at 500KB/sec.

In 1-2 hours, the ISO (2.44) would have been downloaded.

I would share my thought about Win7 if everything goes fine.
    bleh

Originally posted by CrONoS View Post
    After having read many reviews of Windows 7, I decided to give it a try.

I'm downloading it directly from Microsoft at 500KB/sec.

In 1-2 hours, the ISO (2.44) would have been downloaded.

I would share my thought about Win7 if everything goes fine.

Please do, I am eager to see how it works, even at the Beta stage
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

On a partition or upgrade?
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The interesting thing about Windows 7 is it's not too different from Vista at all. There's some new features (the new taskbar is the main one), and under-the-hood tweaks, but basically it's being released ASAP due to the "Windows Mojave" effect. Due to the failure of humanity as a whole, people assume Vista is **** and stay away from it. Windows 7 is now getting rave reviews for what is essentially Vista with a new coat of paint, and no one is any wiser...

That said, the coolest parts of Windows 7 are the multi-touch controls.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
          On a partition or upgrade?
          On a partition (Multi boot WinXP and Win 7).

<---- Garbage made not by me, but by Apolyton DB.

On a partition (Multi boot WinXP and Win 7).
          bleh

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
            Windows 7 is now getting rave reviews for what is essentially Vista with a new coat of paint, and no one is any wiser...
            People are sheep
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well, it's more than a just new coat of paint--it's really more like the bump from 3.0 to 3.1 was, I think.

It helps they're removing a lot of the ****ty cruft like Mail, and adding things like DivX support, fixing the UAC, huge improvements to performance on older machines in addition to better multi-core support...
              B♭3

Comment

Due to the failure of humanity as a whole, people assume Vista is **** and stay away from it.
                Vista sucks. If you don't want people to hate the name Vista, don't design a ****ty product and call it Vista.

Comment

Vista sucks Linus Torvalds' enormous Finnish testicles. Which is fitting because Finland is shaped like balls, with Sweden and Norway forming the dick.

Comment

I've tried the beta out on a Virtual PC.

Well, I happen to like Vista, and 7 is looking fine too. I even like the new taskbar. I like how you can tile your windows by dragging them to the sides of the screen. I like the new Start menu, I like how fast it sets itself up. Even UAC is less *****y now. I haven't dug under the hood yet, so no clue if non-UI stuff is better.
                    Asher, what can you tell us about the new multitouch features? I cannot try them out for obvious reasons. I've seen how multitouch works on the new HP and Dell tablet PCs running Vista, and it is horrible. On iPhone you get that immediate feedback, the sense of fluidity, but there they open a photo gallery, flick an arc over the screen, and two seconds later the photo is rotated 90 degrees. WTF? It should have immediately followed the fingers and snapped to 90 degrees' angle when released. Is there an API in Windows 7 that simulates inertial scrolling and rotation and stuff?
                    Graffiti in a public toilet
                    Do not require skill or wit
                    Among the **** we all are poets
                    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Multitouch on Vista is a hack by Dell/HP. It's native, fluid, and awesome when it's a first-class interface a la Windows 7.

The API in Windows 7 does do inertial scrolling, rotation, gesture recognition, etc. It's actually pretty refined already, my company has been using it for two years as part of the MS Surface API -- it now supports Windows 7 as well now for multitouch.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Installation was painless, all the drivers were automaticaly installed.

Direct 3D games are faster; I have a huge, noticeable increase in FPS for Call Of Duty 2. No difference for OpenGL games (Doom 3). I just read on forums that others peoples with integrated intel video card registered higher fps (for call of duty, fps have doubled).

But I can't try many game, since many of them are not functionning right now (I need to reinstall because somes files are missing).
                        bleh

Comment

It doesn't present itself to me as a download option. I see now. You have to be a certified geek to be a beta tester. Good. I don't like beta stuff anyway.
                          Last edited by SlowwHand; January 10, 2009, 19:45.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Without having tried the new Windows, I don't like everything I've heard. The new taskbar looks and sounds like something I'll end up hating (I hope to be surprised, but it looks like it just makes basic things more "difficult")
                            Can you switch to the old taskbar?
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

yes
                              bleh

Comment

Working...
                              X