Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delay the digital switchover for TVs?

Why?

Apparently, some people still aren't ready for it, years after it first got mentioned. Now that their sets might not receive information anymore, do we really need to spend federal money to bail out their sorry asses over a luxury?

B♭3

We should just get on with it. Most people are aware of the transition and I seriously doubt those who aren't aware would somehow become aware because of a delay.

Also, there are folks waiting for the transition in order to do business -- like those businesses that paid $19 billion for the spectrum that the transition will free up. Then there are the white spaces equipment manufacturers who will have to wait until the transition occurs.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

This just goes to show that the majority of poor people are lazy and/or stupid.

Comment

No delays People will realize it the day their TV doesn't work any more. I don't mind extending the deadline for coupons for set-top boxes, but just cut off the signal
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Eh, in Finland, switching from analoque to digital was something of a fiasco. It hasn't really brought any tangible things you could point to, and say, this is better now... And now they're talking about switching to HD, and thus another line of set-top boxes become obsolete. That's what it was all about, selling new tv's.

And the programming is local Idols, Big Brother and "Let's find a fiancee to a farmer". Yah.
          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

We should just ban TV and force people to develop lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun View Post
              And now they're talking about switching to HD, and thus another line of set-top boxes become obsolete. That's what it was all about, selling new tv's.
              The HD and analog-to-digital transitions are being done at the same time here in the states. The transition has been a long one. It started about 7 or 8 years ago. Because they are doing both at the same time, the direct benefits are pretty clear.
              Last edited by DanS; January 9, 2009, 17:59. Reason: I edit because I can
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Winston View Post
                We should just ban TV and force people to develop lives.
                As you have demonstrated, the lack of a TV just increases a person's stupidity and lack of rationality.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Really?

Most experts I've heard hold the opposite to be true.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                    We should just get on with it. Most people are aware of the transition and I seriously doubt those who aren't aware would somehow become aware because of a delay.

Also, there are folks waiting for the transition in order to do business -- like those businesses that paid $19 billion for the spectrum that the transition will free up. Then there are the white spaces equipment manufacturers who will have to wait until the transition occurs.
                    QFT. And I know that cable companies are waiting for the transition to free up space to add more channels. I want my extra HD channels, dammit

I mean seriously, there will ALWAYS be people who wait until the end before they finally get off their asses and do what is needed. An extra year will just allow those people to sit on their asses for another 10 months or so. This transition has been common knowledge for a loooong time. Just do it already.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Q Classic View Post
                      Why?

Apparently, some people still aren't ready for it, years after it first got mentioned. Now that their sets might not receive information anymore, do we really need to spend federal money to bail out their sorry asses over a luxury?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28562781/

No-brainer. Procrastination shouldn't be rewarded.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Good lord, if it's just a shortage of coupons, send out more ****ing coupons. If the issue is the expiring ones, just send out more, they'll expire anyway... no need to delay anything because a bunch of bozos in Congress can't get their act together.

Comment

Well, there's the money appropriations to consider. Congress is afraid, ironically enough, of overspending and going over-budget by sending out extra coupons. If more than X number of coupons are redeemed, then they will be over-budget cost.

...Sigh. I fear a bunch of people will complain about blank screens come February, and lawsuits will tie up the courts.
                          -->Visit CGN!
                          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Congress can go **** themselves. Appropriate the ******* money and finish what you started...

Comment

Believe me snoopy, I agree with your opinion wholeheartedly.
                              -->Visit CGN!
                              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                              X