No announcement yet.

Slow cooking!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it turned out well. The chuck roast was amazingly tender (of course) and delicious! Although, the brocolli browned quite a bit; they tasted fine but I wonder if the brocolli lost their nutrients or something?

I had a fabulous meal this evening and have enough for dinner tomorrow night.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
      I know. The same thought went through my mind. I knew I irritated Mr. Fun, but I didn't know how much.

What do you mean? I still like you; just not cooked but alive and well.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll View Post
        Let us know how it works out

As an alternative, try some Lipton Onions Soup Mix in the bag sprinkled,

Looking forward to hearinf about it
        That sounds like a good idea!

Comment

I'm not a big fan of brocolli. Vegetables, you know.

Pork chops turn out well.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
            What do you mean? I still like you; just not cooked but alive and well.

Oooooh. "Sloww cooking" meaning "cooking Sloww" rather than "Sloww's method of cooking." Now I see why Sloww got ticked. My bad.

Comment

For a single porkchop with bone in it, what would be the cooking time if I set slow cooker on high? Or how long if I set it on low?

If I cook two of them, I guess I just double the cooking time?

Comment

I slow cooked a standing rib roast for New Years day.
                180F for 5 hours. Like making prime rib, slow = tender.
                Slow cooking was (is?) a fad at some trendy San Francisco restaurants last year.
                And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

I set everything for slow cook and count on 8 hours.
                  Pork chops may be some dry, but not terribly. 1, 2, makes no difference.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                    the brocolli browned quite a bit; they tasted fine but I wonder if the brocolli lost their nutrients or something?
                    Yes the broccoli lost some nutrients, but that's not why it turned brown. Green veggies are green because of chlorophyll. In plant cells there are enzymes that can destroy it, and when you overcook your veggies, the cell walls are destroyed, allowing the enzymes access to the chlorophyll, turning the plant brown/grey/yellow, etc.

Because the cell walls are destroyed, nutrients can escape from your food (creating the tasty broth). However, because humans can't digest celulose, which is what plant cell walls are made of, you actually get more nutrition from cooked veggies which have less nutrients than you do from raw veggies.

In the future, you want bright green veggies, cook them for a few minutes, which liberates the oxygen from the chlorophyll, brightening the green, then duimp them in ice cold water, to stop the cooking process. Then add the green veggies back once you're done cooking everything else.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er View Post
                      I slow cooked a standing rib roast for New Years day.
                      180F for 5 hours. Like making prime rib, slow = tender.
                      Slow cooking was (is?) a fad at some trendy San Francisco restaurants last year.
                      Slow cooking is really only good for meat with a lot of connective tissue. standing rib roast doesn't. It has lots of fat (and if properly aged, a bit less water). Slow cooking tends to dry the meat and render most of the fat. Connective tissue contains collegen, which feels like fat in your mouth, and it is released by long, slow methods. Legs and shoulders are best for the long slow treatement. The brisket in beef also contains a great deal of connective tissue, which is why it is perfect for barbeque.

A standing rib roast really out to be cooked at around 350F, to an internal temperature of 125F when pulled from the oven (use a probe thermometer). Carry over heat will add another 5 to ten degrees over the next half hour, bringing your roast to medium rare. If you cook it at 500F for the first 30 minutes, you'll give the roast that wonderful brown crust without burning the meat.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

When we do pot roast in a crock pot, we'll leave the veggies out (except the onions) till near the end so they don't get too mushy. (a more simple explanation than others)
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Snuggles View Post
                          Yes the broccoli lost some nutrients, but that's not why it turned brown. Green veggies are green because of chlorophyll. In plant cells there are enzymes that can destroy it, and when you overcook your veggies, the cell walls are destroyed, allowing the enzymes access to the chlorophyll, turning the plant brown/grey/yellow, etc.

Because the cell walls are destroyed, nutrients can escape from your food (creating the tasty broth). However, because humans can't digest celulose, which is what plant cell walls are made of, you actually get more nutrition from cooked veggies which have less nutrients than you do from raw veggies.

In the future, you want bright green veggies, cook them for a few minutes, which liberates the oxygen from the chlorophyll, brightening the green, then duimp them in ice cold water, to stop the cooking process. Then add the green veggies back once you're done cooking everything else.
                          You realize you have replied to a post of mine without calling me dumb or stupid, do you?

Comment

Moron.

Comment

grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Whew! Things are back to normal on here now.

Comment

Working...
                                X