GM & Chrysler on the Brink -- Part 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bush announces auto rescue
    Government to loan GM and Chrysler $13.4 billion from Wall Street bailout fund so that the embattled auto firms don't run out of cash.

By Chris Isidore, CNNMoney.com senior writer
    Last Updated: December 19, 2008: 11:26 AM ET
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Darn politicians... I say we vote that Bush guy out of office
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

This sucks so bad.

The reason why the companies need bankruptcy is because the relevant interests are not compromising. This bailout merely creates a slush fund so that they can continue to not compromise.

Bush has no balls. He was worked over by the UAW. And he just screwed over Obama, because every company in America is going to be knocking on his door looking for a bailout.
        Last edited by DanS; December 19, 2008, 13:47.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
          The entire economy is waiting for either bailouts or rationalizations. It is causing a lot of hesitation. Also (my opinion), the natural result of mass intervention, mass transfers of taxpayer wealth the Goldman Sachs, CDO counterparties, etc. has caused a (rational) expectation of a large recession, which is making almost every company do major things to draw in their heads, stop growth, etc.
          Looks like we'll have at least 3 more months of hesitation as other bailout-seekers see what the terms would be for their bailouts from the new administration.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

**** you, Bush.

Comment

Not that Obama wasn't going to do the same (or worse).

Comment

Still, it would've been nice to have one party that isn't completely retarded on this issue.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut
                    Still, it would've been nice to have one party that isn't completely retarded on this issue.
                    Nice, yes. Realistic, no.

Comment

Suck it Republicans.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

One of our larger customers, which mostly supplies the big three, just laid off seventy people. They just picked up a contract for higher end John Deere equipment (that's right, luxury combines), so they may yet pull it out.

My last day of work was yesterday; hopefully we'll have more orders by the time the plant reopens January 12th.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Suck it Republicans.
                          What irritates me most is that the Democrats support all of this crap. It would surprise me less if the Republicans did ('big business' party as they're supposed to be) ... but the 'party of the people' seems to want to ensure that the people get further screwed over by big business.

Comment

Supporting good paying jobs for American workers.

Comment

BTW Republicans are the party of big business. They just feel that killing the union is more important since the union knows who its friends and enemies are.

Comment

See, if I thought democrats were complete idiots, I might buy that rationale. But I don't... and I know that they're as aware as I am, that this bailout money will help out the corporate folks far more than the workers; they'll still lay off tons of people, and then outsource more to India and Mexico. Bankruptcy wouldn't cost America a million jobs, or even likely cost America significantly more than they already are going to lay off over the relatively short term - and if they did it under supervision of a court, there would be less uncertainty, and people like Honda and Toyota could move in and employ more people instead much quicker than they will now (with more uncertainty).

As far as I can tell, the Dems prefer to simply lie to their populace and hope they buy the **** coming in shovelfulls.

Comment

Working...
                                X