Turkey Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, that's it.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
      the oil was popping about 3-4 inches in air with that injectioned butter, but it calmed down after 10 minutes or so.

Here's how you deal with that problem. What is causing the pops is water in the butter. Butter isn't solid fat. So well before you plan on injecting it, melt the butter in a skillet over a low heat. Keep it on the heat until it finishes bubbling. Then remove to cool. No water, no steam, no popping oil.

Basically you're making ghee, but you keep the heat low enough to keep the milk solids from browning.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        Che bastardizes the day like he bastardizes everything. Citing some commie rag doesn't change anything.
        Look at Wikipedia, or correct them.

Dude, where do you think I got the info about the real reason for Thanksgiving. Wikipedia! President Lincoln made the last Thursday in November a permanent national holiday to celebrate the victory at Gettysburg!
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          It's actually something I saw Martha Stewart make as well (with Snoop Dog on her show, believe it or not... he was expressing astonishment as to all that butter, cream cheese, etc), so I'd say she knows a bit more about cooking than Mr Fun .
          Hmmm, wonder if that's where Mom got it. We've been enjoying it for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Snuggles
            the oil was popping about 3-4 inches in air with that injectioned butter, but it calmed down after 10 minutes or so.

Here's how you deal with that problem. What is causing the pops is water in the butter. Butter isn't solid fat. So well before you plan on injecting it, melt the butter in a skillet over a low heat. Keep it on the heat until it finishes bubbling. Then remove to cool. No water, no steam, no popping oil.

Basically you're making ghee, but you keep the heat low enough to keep the milk solids from browning.
            Im injecting a premade mix, not whole butter

and you have to keep the temperature up to bake or it will take forever, somewhere between 325 and 350 degrees
            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I'm talking about the butter.

You need to eliminate that popping, especially if you're talking about 3 to 4 inches. That's the kinda of thing that causes fires and third degree burns.

Good Eats had a whole episode on frying turkeys. Not something I'm especially interested in, but entertaining none the less. You should check it out.

Comment

I'm talking about the butter.

You need to eliminate that popping, especially if you're talking about 3 to 4 inches. That's the kinda of thing that causes fires and third degree burns.

Good Eats had a whole episode on frying turkeys. Not something I'm especially interested in, but entertaining none the less. You should check it out.
                So your talking about this premade mix, cooking this liquid in a skillet?

(Just so we are clear, its LIQUID, almost clear with spices)

I ask because everyone I have talked to stated simply take the syringe and draw this liquid into it and then inject into the turkey.

100 people, same answer, and same as on container.

Thanks for any additional feedback

Gramps

Comment

Gramps Guaranteed Stuffing!

Here is a turkey recipe that also includes the use of
                  >
                  > > popcorn as a stuffing -- imagine that. > 8 - 15 lb.
                  > turkey
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > > 1 cup melted butter
                  > > 1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is Good.)
                  >
                  > > 1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW
                  > FAT)
                  > >
                  > Salt/pepper
                  > > to taste
                  > > Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush
                  > turkey well with melted
                  > > butter salt, and pe pper.
                  > > Fill
                  > cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan
                  >
                  > > with the
                  > neck end toward the back of the oven.
                  > > Listen for the popping
                  > sounds. When the turkey's ass
                  > > blows the oven door open and the
                  > bird flies across the room,
                  > > it's done.

Comment

So your talking about this premade mix, cooking this liquid in a skillet?

(Just so we are clear, its LIQUID, almost clear with spices)

I ask because everyone I have talked to stated simply take the syringe and draw this liquid into it and then inject into the turkey.

100 people, same answer, and same as on container.

Thanks for any additional feedback

Gramps
                    Well, if it's a liquid, it isn't butter. Butter ain't liquid at room temperature. So never mind then.

Just be careful old man. Turkey firers are dangerous business.

Comment

Well, if it's a liquid, it isn't butter. Butter ain't liquid at room temperature. So never mind then.

Just be careful old man. Turkey firers are dangerous business.
                      Yes sir

I may one day convert to Communism...maybe

Comment

Working...
                      X