Turkey Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey Day!

So, what are your plans for giving thanks for the defeat of the South at Gettysburg, my fellow Americans?

I'm having "orphans" over to my place, as home and family are so far away. I'm making turkey, mom's heart attack mashed potatoes, sweet potato pie, green bean casserole, stuffing and I don't know what else. The turkey will be brined.

The heart attack mashed pots are twelve potatoes (four russets, eight reds), with a stick of butter, a cup of sour cream, and a package of cream cheese. I also threw some garlic in for good measure. Everything else will be Alton Brown Good Eats recipes.

Now for a few articles.

Why Is Our Thanksgiving Bird Called a Turkey?

Native Blood: The Myth of Thanksgiving Good discussion too.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

The Metropolitan Community Church I go to in Washington DC is having a pot luck lunch/dinner.

I'm bringing my own homemade mashed sweet potatoes.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Double dipping. Going to the VFW and the American Legion. Turkey, ham and brisket, with all the fixings.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

For Yankee Thanksgiving I'm making a turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes and possibly homemade pumpkin pie. Am having a friend + his wife over.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Having 8 people over, making the turkey, stuffing (with apples, pecans, and dried cranberries), and mashed potatoes.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
            For Yankee Thanksgiving I'm making a turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes and possibly homemade pumpkin pie. Am having a friend + his wife over.
            For Yankee? What are you having for Southern? Chicken fried steak?
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

My daughter will be home from college. It will be a nuclear family event, just the three of us. Really looking forward to it.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

For Yankee? What are you having for Southern? Chicken fried steak?
                You're all Yanks to me.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I will celebrate Thanksgiving at a Youth Ranch for foster kids along with my ex, the kids, a select sampling of her family. Later that night I will hang out with my girlfriend since her kids are with their real dad that day. Next day I will stop by my moms for another dinner with her and her boyfriend.
                  Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Besides, Thanksgiving is Yankee through and through anyway, as it began in New England, so Yankee as referring to Americans and Yankee as referring to Northerners and New Englanders.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

So I can have chicken fried steak? Too bad. I like white turkey.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        Double dipping. Going to the VFW and the American Legion. Turkey, ham and brisket, with all the fixings.
                        That sounds awesome.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Turkey is a New England tradition that spread to the rest of the country because of WWII. The Army serves turkey because it's a West Point tradition, and when the GIs came home, they decided to continue it.

For those who don't want to celebrate the victory over the South at Gettysburg, you could also celebrate the victory over the British Empire at Saratoga. Both are great revolutionary victories.

Comment

The whole family is going over to my dad's this year. I'll be making a side dish since my dad's girlfriend has usurped my position as turkey and stuffing maker in chief. I'm supposed to bring a side so I'm thinking about baked beets with garlic. It's good especially if you fry up some bacon and use a bit of bacon grease instead of olive oil and then sprinkle bacon bits on the beets.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                              X