Turkey Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no Thanksgiving in Turkey.

It is only the US, Canada, and Granada. Though a few times my Scottish father, my aunt, my sister, and I have made a point of going back to Kilmarnock, Scotland to have the family Thanksgiving. Our Scottish relatives seem to think the idea of Thanksgiving is quite quaint though they do like the turkey and stuffing.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

HB Turkey!

Blah

Comment

For the first time in ages, we're not hosting and roasting, which makes me sad -- I love this holiday. But we're going to my sister-in-law's for a family gathering -- 11 of us, including a friend my daughter is bringing down from college. We're still doing some cooking, though; my wife is baking pies, and I'm making my potato-cheese bake.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

We'll be going up to NH to my mother-in-law's place. Food:

Turkey
          Stuffing
          Mashed potatoes
          Peas
          Boiled white onions
          Squash

...which will be repeated with the addition of honey carrots at our house for Christmas.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I'm just staying home, but I'm taking Friday off because there is no point trying to stay open on Black Friday. Everyone is out shopping.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

We have Pork Loin for Thanksgiving. This year we are going to step right next door to celebrate with the neighbor and her family. We are supplying the meat so no turkey at dinner. However, the ladies are cooking up a boneless turkey breast, so everyone can have turkey sandwiches on Friday. Of course the men all watch football before and after, cheering for or against teams we wouldn't even watch any other day. Traditions die hard.
              Last edited by Blaupanzer; November 25, 2008, 12:10.
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

The Thanksgiving at my church starts at 1:00 PM but I'm hoping that this celebration/get together extends into the evening for dinner as well.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  Besides, Thanksgiving is Yankee through and through anyway, as it began in New England, so Yankee as referring to Americans and Yankee as referring to Northerners and New Englanders.
                  At Red Sox nation being "Yankees".
                  And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

They are, they just have failed to embrace the term and got it stolen away .
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

We had our children and grandchildren's Thanksgiving this past Sunday, I deep fried a 20 pound and a 16 pound turkey, as well as baked a nice ham with plenty sides, Watergate salad, mashes potatoes, giblet gravy, deviled eggs,whole kernel corn, sweet potato pie and sweet tea Dirt Cake and Pumpkin Pie for dessert

This weekend we will be at Mrs.Troll's Mom's farm down in Orangeburg South Carolina, I will fry a couple more turkeys and bake another ham and load up sides, this takes place on Saturday so all the family can travel.

As for actual Thanksgiving Day, we will travel, probably load up a McRib from Mickey D's on way down somewhere along Interstate 95

Gramps
                      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

How did a turkey that large turn out in the deep frier?
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

after reading this thread i think i'll have a turkey sandwich
                          any suggestions on things to add in a turkey sandwich?
                          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Oh, deviled eggs! I forgot about them. My family used to have a lasagna on Thanksgiving, in addition to the traditional Yankee meal.

Why does everyone else have McRib but us?
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I'll be working. I'll stop over my mother's after work for leftovers etc. My middle brother will be working swingshift while I'm on days. So I won't get to see him. . It'll be a pretty lazy day for me, except work. But work will be slow too I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                                after reading this thread i think i'll have a turkey sandwich
                                any suggestions on things to add in a turkey sandwich?
                                A little mayo, a little mustard, romaine lettuce, ripe tomato.
                                And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Working...
                                X