No announcement yet.

Remembrance Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More comments from the peanut gallery can be found here.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Just a few comments then I'll head back to my hole.

1. Since when is Remembrance Day not a national holiday in Canada? Is it one in Britain? I dont know that either since I havent lived in either country for a long time, but I suspect not. I think the trend is bull****!

2. I believe I've replied to Che's bull**** comments on this topic in previous years so I wont bother with that.

3. As a part of my remembrance of my "absent friends" I've been thinking about the difference between Remembrance Day (in a large chunk of the world) and Veterans Day here in the USA. I have to say that I prefer the quiet respect for veterans of all sides on Remembrance day rather than the fanfare and rah-rah praise of Veterans day.

4. Whats with all the damn war movies anyway? I'd like to see a whole day of veterans recounting stories. No commercials, no fanfare, just their histories as seen through their eyes, good and bad. There are similar documentaries about Medal of Honor winners etc but I think people need to see more than that.

5. I had a chance meeting with a WWII veteran near where I live in BAMA. I dont even know his name . We got to talking and swapped some war stories. He had been a light mortarman in the pacific (marine I think). He told me about a night when he had attacked a Japanese position with his mortar. In the morning he had the unusual opportunity to be able to walk up amongst the bodies and see what he had done. It was clear it still haunted him more than 50 years later. At the end of our conversation he said he had never told anyone some of the things he had told me. I remember telling him that I thought it was important that such events not be forgotten. So I keep em. That too is part of my remembrance.
      Last edited by SpencerH; November 12, 2008, 08:47.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
        Oh, please. This isn't banworthy.

-Arrian
        No it isn't, but it got Che to leave the thread quietly
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

My great grandfathers from the maternal side were not veterans, one was a railroad official in Ulan-Ude, ferrying supplies to the western USSR, the other was an attorney and was shot in 1941 by some bandits.
          My great grandfathers from the paternal side fought, and fought well.
          Sadly, I don't know what my ancestors did in the first WW, no one cared about peasants back then, so there are no records, and there's no one left to ask.
          Graffiti in a public toilet
          Do not require skill or wit
          Among the **** we all are poets
          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
            Just a few comments then I'll head back to my hole.

1. Since when is Remembrance Day not a national holiday in Canada? Is it one in Britain? I dont know that either since I havent lived in either country for a long time, but I suspect not. I think the trend is bull****!
            It is a federal holiday in Canada. However, mandated holidays for all workers are a provincial responsibility. Some provinces choose to observe Remembrance Day in that way, some don't. Federal gov't offices are closed on Remembrance Day.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

It is a federal holiday in Canada. However, mandated holidays for all workers are a provincial responsibility. Some provinces choose to observe Remembrance Day in that way, some don't. Federal gov't offices are closed on Remembrance Day.
              Thanks for the clarification. Manitoba
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Ontario too
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

It was a holiday in Ontario years ago. I don't remember when it changed.

A positive of it not being a holiday anymore is that kids are in school and most schools focus on Remembrance Day activities on Nov 11. It could be argued they are learning more about the veterans and their sacrifice in school than sitting at home playing video games. The government even has a program that brings vets into schools to speak directly with the kids.

Not having the day as a holiday is obviously detrimental for adults wishing to attend services.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                    It was a holiday in Ontario years ago. I don't remember when it changed.

A positive of it not being a holiday anymore is that kids are in school and most schools focus on Remembrance Day activities on Nov 11. It could be argued they are learning more about the veterans and their sacrifice in school than sitting at home playing video games. The government even has a program that brings vets into schools to speak directly with the kids.

Not having the day as a holiday is obviously detrimental for adults wishing to attend services.
                    In Alberta, we just had the remembrance day stuff the last school day before Nov 11. We had ceremonies where vets attended, presentations, etc.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

That is a good compromise as well.

If the day is to survive the children need to know the importance of the day. Just another holiday won't do it.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Whats with all the damn war movies anyway? I'd like to see a whole day of veterans recounting stories. No commercials, no fanfare, just their histories as seen through their eyes, good and bad. There are similar documentaries about Medal of Honor winners etc but I think people need to see more than that.

My father has nothing but scorn for the vast majority of war movies. He thought that the opening scene in Private Ryan did a so-so job of capturing it, but the movie went downhill in a hurry from there (for him).

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

My father has nothing but scorn for the vast majority of war movies. He thought that the opening scene in Private Ryan did a so-so job of capturing it, but the movie went downhill in a hurry from there (for him).

-Arrian
                          There are already many fantastic WW2 documentaries focusing on interviews with veterans.

Comment

Sure. My point is that Spencer is right that they should be played on Vet's day instead of war movies.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                            X