Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm halfway into a bottle of Capn Morgan and...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Arrian
    I doubt he's anywhere *near* as arrogant as he comes off here. He's playing it up, Kid.
    When are we not here? I don't associate with anyone from here, when I'm not here. I would never associate with a person like KH in real life. I believe that people who do end up sorry that they did so.

I will however associate with people like that on the internet however, since it's not harmfull. It'st just interesting to see how people have certain personalities.

I don't just come here to exchange ideas, although I like that very much. I come here to observe people, because I find that interesting as well.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I know that. We're all here to have some fun.

-Arrian

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• When are we not here?
        This, I will concede, comes perilously close to the Truth.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
          Use Poly as an educational resource. Don't be dogmatic when you argue. Just present a point of view, and allow it to be criticized. You will rapidly become better informed. You are more than smart enough to hold your own, even if somebody who is known for tearing people who argue with him limb from limb occasionally smashes you. If it happens and you learn something then it's worth it. Nobody's keeping score on you except you. When you're wrong just come out and say you're wrong. Intellectual honesty is the trait I admire the most in a person.
          See, that's the thing: by that tactic I only become better informed of other people's opinions. I lack the knowledge to evaluate those opinions for veracity, except for patently nutty ones involving jackbooted Canadians throwing people out of helicopters which contradict not only my own knowledge but common sense as well. Nor do I have any way of knowing which webpages/books are authoritative and which are partisan or ignorant without knowing the basics of the subject they cover. Sort of a Catch-22: you have to know the subject to evaluate a source, but you have to read respectable sources to really know the subject. And it's not just a matter of spotting fallacious argument; two intelligent and honest people can come to radically different conclusions based on the same information.

What do the experts say about this source or that? Depends which expert. Well, what do the majority of them say? Depends which poll you look at. How do you know the poll isn't skewed or misleading? Ask people which pollsters can be trusted. How do you know the people aren't biased hacks themselves? Ask...and it just never ends. It's the horror of the Information Age.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

This, I will concede, comes perilously close to the Truth.

-Arrian
            I didn't mean that literally. I figured you would understand what I meant from the rest fo what I said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius871

I didn't say you have to reach a certain level to have it, I said you have to reach a certain level to earn or deserve it. Savvy?
              It's not a good thing to have. That's why it's a disorder. So maybe I don't get what you mean.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok

See, that's the thing: by that tactic I only become better informed of other people's opinions. I lack the knowledge to evaluate those opinions for veracity
                Ask questions. Follow lines of argument to their conclusion. If something doesn't make sense, speak up. Even if your objection is wrong, you will learn why it's wrong. If you can't get a satisfactory answer to your objection it might be because there isn't one. Again, I believe that you are smart enough to do this on most issues. There are a few, very technical subjects where you won't be able to do this, but you should be able to see those from a mile away. For example, you don't need to understand game theory to have a discussion about basic economics (which is all that many/most of the economics discussions here revolve around). 99% of disagreements on specific issues here can be resolved with a little thought and some facts.

Trust your judgment. Experts are only experts because they do this.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
                  It's not a good thing to have. That's why it's a disorder. So maybe I don't get what you mean.
                  No, by definition under the DSM-IV a personality trait doesn't become a disorder until after it significantly impairs social, work, or other basic functions of daily life. Plenty of people with narcissistic personalities function very well.
                  Unbelievable!

Comment

No, by definition under the DSM-IV a personality trait doesn't become a disorder until after it significantly impairs social, work, or other basic functions of daily life. Plenty of people with narcissistic personalities function very well.
                    Which is true. We don't know how KH functions in the real world. The only thing we have to go on is the criteria to judge if someone has the disorder that I posted previously.

I don't believe that he functions well on the internet, but then this is just the internet. It's not like real life because people will tend to behave differently.

Comment

Which is true. We don't know how KH functions in the real world. The only thing we have to go on is the criteria to judge if someone has the disorder that I posted previously.
                      At the very least, he is married.

This is in contrast to you -- you are divorced, and as I recall it was very messy and public on Apolyton.

Glass houses
                      Stones
                      Stupidity
                      Kidicious
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                        At the very least, he is married.
                        That doesn't mean anything. He may be married for a long period of time to someone who is codependent. The marriage will work so long as his wife sticks to her submissive role.

Comment

I don't believe that he functions well on the internet
                          Why not, because he steps on a few toes, chiefly yours? You yourself said plenty of people here put him on a pedestal, meaning even in fake-internet-life there isn't significant impairment of function.

Oh, and what Asher said.
                          Unbelievable!

Comment

That doesn't mean anything. He may be married for a long period of time to someone who is codependent. The marriage will work so long as his wife sticks to her submissive role.

You are unreal.

From what I can see, KH functions better than you online and it is very likely offline as well.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                              This is in contrast to you -- you are divorced, and as I recall it was very messy and public on Apolyton.

Glass houses
                              Stones
                              Huh, I thought this all went down before he was an active poster. Got any links? *rubs hands*

Originally posted by Kidicious
                              Oh yes, of course he just browbeats her into it. Plus the guy was a wrestler, so he knows how to pin her down when he needs to.
                              Unbelievable!

Comment

Huh, I thought this all went down before he was an active poster. Got any links? *rubs hands*
                                I might be confusing him with blackice...

Comment

Working...
                                X