Republican Knives come out for Palin...lots of dirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrFun
    If McCain staffers are so infuriated with his loss, why don't they give McCain a knock on the head for choosing such an awful running mate? She was a BAD choice.
    McCain is done, there's no point.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

McCain would have been better off running a centrist campaign with Joe Lieberman as his running mate and telling the far-right they could vote for him or they could vote for a commie.
      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
      -Joan Robinson

Comment

The lesbian left hated her because she likes men. The gay left hated her because she's better looking than they are.
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I disagree.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I really enjoy being a right-wing whacko to Canadians and a left-wing nutjob to Americans.

Kiss my ass, you extremists.

Comment

I am overjoyed at Tuesday's result. However, I would note the Republicans lost in what used to be defined as a landslide. Palin's contribution to that was most likely very small. Maybe a few people did not vote who otherwise would have, but a lot of the base showed up at the polls who would otherwise have stayed home. I work with several such people and our polling data agreed. Due to her known stance on abortion, she made very few new enemies, as everyone who disagreed already was voting dem. So, she was a net plus.

Second, despite what the elite media tried to show, the woman is an extremely shrewd politician. One, appointed to a backwater board investigatig corruption by her Republican sponsors, she completely beheaded the Party by catching them doing the very things they put her on the board to cover up. Having ripped the core out of the party, she got herself nominated and elected Governor. She then confronted the oil companies, demanding a larger share of the profits of the oil they were exporting. Note that few politicians are self-corrupting, the oil companies were in that process up to their necks. She then turned around and created an annual rebate for all Alaskan citizens, based on that oil money. She is wildly popular in Alaska.

None of the above sounds the least bit stupid. The fact that she needs lessons in geography and current affairs outside Alaska is hardly a standard anyone but an elite would find wanting. I don't agree with her, but I don't plan to underestimate her either.

One footnote: In campaigns that spent $hundreds of millions each, $150,000 is nothing. Most of the people working with McCain at the upper levels have closets in their own homes filled with items worth 2 - 6 times that much. This was a cheap shot aimed at the soccer moms who can only dream of one shopping spree for that much money.
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Literally every professional woman I know -- people who have a degree and have worked their way through the corporate world, often reaching mid and upper level management -- they ALL despise Palin. We're talking Republicans who voted Obama specifically because of Palin's presence on the ticket. Some get totally apoplectic when the topic comes up. The most common refrain: "Hey, I had to work for what I got, and I had to be better and work harder than the men around me."

They resent the free ride Palin got. They hate her opportunistic nature, and often mention specifically that blind ambition like Palin's could only be tolerated if she had the knowledge and competence. to back it up. And they are totally convinced that she has neither.

As for me, I respect only her public speaking skills. I agree that she is a shrewd politician. But given her political history, I would never trust her to act in anything other than her own self-interest. And her lack of knowledge (not to mention actual insight and analysis) on virtually every major issue she has addressed is downright scary.

It's too much to hope that she'll just fade away. But oh, I wish it were so.
                Last edited by -Jrabbit; November 6, 2008, 16:41.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
                  I am overjoyed at Tuesday's result. However, I would note the Republicans lost in what used to be defined as a landslide.
                  Oh? If you list US presidential elections by margin of victory in the electoral college, Obama falls squarely in the middle.

Comment

ABC News' Steven Portnoy reports: In a conservative radio interview that aired in Washington, D.C. Friday morning, Republican vice presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin said she fears her First Amendment rights may be threatened by "attacks" from reporters who suggest she is engaging in a negative campaign against Barack Obama.

Given what we already know, I don't find the claims in the opening post implausible.
                    http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Point of order:

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
                      She then turned around and created an annual rebate for all Alaskan citizens, based on that oil money.

She didn't create squat. That rebate had been going on for many years prior to her administration.

I visited Alaska in '01, and people there were already getting an annual check from the state government thanks to oil revenue. I'm not sure when that policy started, but it was long before Palin got to Juneau.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
                        Point of order:

She didn't create squat. That rebate had been going on for many years prior to her administration.

I visited Alaska in '01, and people there were already getting an annual check from the state government thanks to oil revenue. I'm not sure when that policy started, but it was long before Palin got to Juneau.
                        QFT. I thought it was cool to be paid just to live there.
                        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

You'd have to be paid to live there...

Comment

I rode home on a shuttle bus today whose driver was listening to Rush Limbaugh. He was in full, furious, defend-Palin mode, calling McCain a traitor, insisting that Palin was the future of the GOP, and calling for a Soviet-style purge of ideologically-non-pure Republicans.

Please, God, let it all come true! :desire:

Meanwhile, though, this is why it's so much more fun when the GOP loses. The Dems lose, and they sit around and piss and moan at a big ol' pity party; Republicans lose, and recriminations become a blood sport.
                            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              You'd have to be paid to live there...
                              Kind of like Alberta.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                                Literally every professional woman I know -- people who have a degree and have worked their way through the corporate world, often reaching mid and upper level management -- they ALL despise Palin. We're talking Republicans who voted Obama specifically because of Palin's presence on the ticket. Some get totally apoplectic when the topic comes up. The most common refrain: "Hey, I had to work for what I got, and I had to be better and work harder than the men around me."

They resent the free ride Palin got. They hate her opportunistic nature, and often mention specifically that blind ambition like Palin's could only be tolerated if she had the knowledge and competence. to back it up. And they are totally convinced that she has neither.

As for me, I respect only her public speaking skills. I agree that she is a shrewd politician. But given her political history, I would never trust her to act in anything other than her own self-interest. And her lack of knowledge (not to mention actual insight and analysis) on virtually every major issue she has addressed is downright scary.

It's too much to hope that she'll just fade away. But oh, I wish it were so.
                                QFT

Comment

Working...
                                X