The Last Last Election Thread II about the Last Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last 3 minutes
    Last edited by Ecthy; November 5, 2008, 14:18.

Comment

That pick gave him a huge boost for a few weeks, then started to become a huge liability.
      I disagree. The numbers are making it look like McCain lost because he wasn't as successful in bringing out his base as Obama was. Palin was a great pick in terms of energizing the base.

Obama didn't just win because he was a Democrat - the increase in turnout was crucial, and a regular Democrat might not have been able to increase turnout as high as it went.
      What increase in turnout? We're looking at a loss of 3.24 million voters from 2004 at the moment.

edit: I get a 1.9 million decrease in turnout using Politico's numbers for 2008 and Wikipedia's for 2004.
      Last edited by Naked Gents Rut; November 5, 2008, 14:46.

Comment

Does Obama have to bring on a team that 'looks like America?' or would the black community pillory him? If he doesn't can the rest of the presidents to come forget about that bit of PCness?
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I have worked on every presidential campaign (democratic, that is) since 1976, and Obama's was by far the most organized. Other prominent Dems could have won, but none as soundly as Obama.
          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
            I don't know about the idea that ANY Democrat could have won. Kucinich would have gotten killed in an election, for example, nor say Jesse Jackson.
            Hence my use of the phrase "prominent Democrat," which I'd define as any of the dozen or so speculated in 2007 to be a reasonable contender. Nobody ever took Kucinich or Jackson seriously.
            Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
              Does Obama have to bring on a team that 'looks like America?' or would the black community pillory him? If he doesn't can the rest of the presidents to come forget about that bit of PCness?

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                Sam Adams in Jerusalem
                Who?
                Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                  I find myself thinking about the election as regards my friend Zkrib alot. He must be a happy man about the way things went yesterday and that's a really good thing because he's a great guy. Congrats pal.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut
                    edit: I get a 1.9 million decrease in turnout using Politico's numbers for 2008 and Wikipedia's for 2004.
                    There's easily that many votes still left to count, though. I think it will nudge past 2004, just barely.

But 2004 was an exceptionally high turnout election, too, considering 105 million voted in 2000.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy

Last 3 minutes
                      Stunning!

Comment

Looks like neither MN-Sen nor GA-Sen will be decided anytime soon. The MN-Sen will go to an automatic recount, which may not be done until early December.

OR-Sen is still undecided...no idea what the delay in counting ballots is, but I'm told it's typical.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

OR-Sen is still undecided...no idea what the delay in counting ballots is, but I'm told it's typical.

It takes longer because they count each demo ballot for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy

Last 3 minutes
                            brilliant speaker

let's hope he's a good decider as well
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Fired up! Ready to go!

Is it the German in me who falls for great speakers (obvious historical reference) and the Greek in Markos (ancient demagogism-democracy and the like) or why does noone else seem to care?

Comment

Where's the beef? That's the US. Also, they'll love him until he makes a decision, then half of them will love him. Every time he makes a decision halve again.

Comment

Working...
                                X