No announcement yet.

A New New Deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The leisure class doesn't have to do any work at all, and if they do, it is largely symbolic in its nature (from Veblen), but I'll not split hairs with you. I'll just simply say that the middle class as I know it certainly isn't synonymous with the leisure class, so we are simply talking past each other.

-=Vel=-
    Last edited by Velociryx; October 31, 2008, 10:17.
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx
      The leisure class doesn't have to do any work at all, and if they do, it is largely symbolic in its nature (from Veblen), but I'll not split hairs with you. I'll just simply say that the middle class as I know it certainly isn't synonymous with the leisure class, so we are simply talking past each other.

-=Vel=-
      Not very many people have never done any work. The general attitude among the leisure class is that the less work you do, and the easier the work is, the more important it is, which makes you superior, or at least equal to your peers. So we're talking about degrees here. But the middle class is generally not the working class. The working class is a different group.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Accrues liability, and an aggrieved person may obtain relief including recovery of back pay for up to two years preceding the filing of the charge, where the unlawful employment practices that have occurred during the charge filing period are similar or related to practices that occurred outside the time for filing a charge.
        What is that saying?
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
          Who forced the capitalists to lend them money?
          The government strongly encouraged it though.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

According to what metric?
            The Obama metric. It's been a Dem talking point for years.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

So the wealthies portion of the wealth has been increasing for the last ~30 years. We can assume that the poor have 0 wealth. This suggests that the middle class has been losing wealth to the wealthy.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

? So total wealth is a constant?
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

No. Wealth is growing but population is growing as well.

I agree that there could be other resutls of those statistics, but assuming that wealth and population are growing at the same rate, the wealthy having a greater percent of the wealth would mean that the middle class shrunk (as a percentage of the population) or became less wealthy.

I know that I am making a few assumptions.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

I agree that there could be other resutls of those statistics, but assuming that wealth and population are growing at the same rate, the wealthy having a greater percent of the wealth would mean that the middle class shrunk (as a percentage of the population) or became less wealthy.
                    It's generally accepted that in the Anglo societies the middle class (or at least what used to be the middle class) has stayed more or less the same and perhaps lost some ground, while the poor have it worse.

Having said that, people's lives have improved somewhat. When I was a kid, New Zealand only had two TV channels, and of course things like the internet did not exist.

But people on lower incomes have a lot less security. The one thing that was noticeable amongst all the people I grew up with (and I spent my youngest years in a solid working class community living in a state house) is that a lot of my friends have ended up worse off than their parents. Their parents could count on leaving school at 15 and getting a well paid and secure job and thus being financially secure enough to marry and have children. For their kids the likelihood of stable, well-paid employment is much much lower and so there have been innumerable bust up relationships, divorces and kids living with one parent or with a series of step-parents. The number one cause of all this is lack of job and financial security.

Meanwhile, sanctimonious right wing politicians lecture the populace on family values when their own economic and employment policies have done more to frustrate and prevent the formation of stable families than any other factor in society. Some of them actually believe their own bull****.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Aggie.

-=Vel=-
                      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                        The "middle class" is the most pampered group in the US.

Middle class :
                        The wages of the middle class [after adjusting for inflation] have not gone up since the 1970's.

Comment

I know that I am making a few assumptions.

JM
                          Since the 80's, the wealth of America has doubled. The increase has all gone to the upper 5%.

Comment

Which would be the group I'd describe as the "Leisure Class."

Not various incarnations of working stiffs, but that's just my two cents.

-=Vel=-

Comment

So total wealth per capita is a constant?
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx
                                Which would be the group I'd describe as the "Leisure Class."

Not various incarnations of working stiffs, but that's just my two cents.

-=Vel=-
                                Top 5% is leisure class?

IIRC to get into top 5% you need a family income of 150000$ or so.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X