No announcement yet.

A New New Deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's possible...how likely remains to be seen, but I agree with Colin Powell...Obama is a transformational figure.

And while I agree with the gist of what Agathon says, I think there are enough people who really WANT to make that kind of difference left in the world that something like a "new, new deal" might have a shot at happening.

One thing is certain, we shall continue to live in interesting times...

-=Vel=-

(one thing can be fairly said...the current system, in its current form, isn't working--if it was, we wouldn't be in the mess we are in now, and our beloved conservative pres (aren't conservatives supposed to be FISCALLY conservative as well?) wouldn't have added nearly eleven TRILLION bucks worth of new debt in eight years--if we don't try SOMETHING else, we're fools of the highest order)
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

That oh so detailed summary (of the House bill, not the Senate one) doesn't provide any information on how the bill would be enforced if it were passed into law. Do you have any evidence that the following is not true?

The summary, not surprisingly, highlights the most important provisions - in full detail. And the House and Senate versions look pretty similar (here it is: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:S.1843: ).

It's enforced exactly like the Civil Rights Act of 1964 says it should be, through the EEOC. I have no idea what exactly the point is behind your quote.
      Last edited by Ramo; October 28, 2008, 15:37.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Yes, I'm sure it does. But the question is how much support such a viewpoint will garner from the broad public.
        I suspect that depends on whether someone is willing to make it in a convincing way to the masses the way the dogma of the free market has been. It also probably depends on the length and depth of the financial crisis. If the crisis is short we might be back to business as usual without ever having learned anything.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

I have no idea what exactly the point is behind your quote.
          It's pretty clear. I take it you have no evidence that the federal government won't be declaring different types of jobs to be "equivalent" and forcing those equivalent jobs to all be paid the same wage if the Fair Pay Act is brought back and passed.

Comment

The merits of that aside, S. 1834 (Fair Pay Restoration Act) is the one that's going to pass, which doesn't have that language. The Senate Dems adopted the House language after they passed it. You're referring to S. 1804, which has about a third as many cosponsors.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

You're referring to S. 1804, which has about a third as many cosponsors.
              The National Agriculture and Food Defense Act of 2007?

A bill to enhance the ability of the United States to prevent, prepare for, detect, and respond to agriculture and food emergencies.

I don't think I've referred to that.

Comment

S. 1087
                -Bokonon

Comment

I think we will have a new New Deal.

Obama's proposed middle-class tax break indicates a desire to return to the demand-supply economics of FDR. Put money into the pockets of the consumers so they can spend our way out of bad times. This system launched us into being an economic superpower before; no reason it won't work again.

Plus, the re-regulation of the finance industry reminds one of the Stock Market Acts of 1933 & 34. No way can we trust fat cats to run wild and still remain responsible.

Comment

I wish there would be something as comprehensive as the new deal but so far Obama hasn't said anything about that. He's just talked about a slight shift to the left in government policy favoring the common man instead of rich elites. While that is good it doesn't amount to a new New Deal.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      Do we have any indication that it now has garnered more support? Obama is a whacky liberal, but not many others are.

Comment

Heh...No worries, Oerdin...this, from one of those whacky Conservatives...

-=Vel=-
                        The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Obama so "whacky" of a liberal that he wants to cut taxes for the middle class.

the horror
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I'd be surprised though, if any tax cuts went thru in the short term....our financial house is a mess. I can see them not getting raised on the middle class, but as for a cut....I dunno.

I suspect they'll get raised on the fatcats tho. Back to the Clinton era levels.

Funny how all these dyed in the wool conservatives added trillions to the debt, and it was one of those whacky lib dems who gave us budget surplusses *gasp*

-=Vel=-

(I know, I know...we're not supposed to talk about such things)

Comment

Obama's proposed middle-class tax break indicates a desire to return to the demand-supply economics of FDR. Put money into the pockets of the consumers so they can spend our way out of bad times.

Wasn't that the theory behind the Bush rebate checks? I think what people don't recognize is that the Bush tax cuts focused on both the supply side and demand side, as it was also sold as consumers would have more money to spend, which would create growth.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I would prefer no tax cuts and actual tax increases combined with spending cuts. The truth is we're $10 trillion in the hole and we have a yearly budget deficit of over half a trillion dollars even before you could things like the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan or the nearly $1 trillion which will be given to Wall St fat cats.

Military spending needs to be savaged and the war in Iraq ended, farm subsidies need to be ended, tax loop holes need to be closed & the whole tax system simplified, we need to stop subsidizing big pharma and let medicare pay market price for drugs instead of inflated prices, oil and timber companies need to pay market rate for the public resources they exploit instead of getting off Scot free, the government needs to enforce a spending cap, and tax rates need to go up at least to the Clinton levels.

Then maybe we can balance the budget and stop digging ourselves into even deeper debt. After that it will take at least a decade to get the debt down to a manageable level. The only new government program should be universal health care because we spend the most in the world for health care and get the least so we need to cut out the middle men and dramatically lower costs the way every other 1st world country has already done.

Comment

Working...
                                X