Gold Bugs Unite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, gold bugs, but the facts just don't add up

It seems a shame to trash the party just when it's finally becoming fun to be a gold bug.

Bullion is flirting with $1,000 (U.S.) an ounce and hoarding the metal is no longer just a pursuit for Eric Sprott and assorted conspiracy theorists with caches of canned food. Even the guy behind the bar at dinner the other night was long gold and happy to expound on why.

It's all about inflation they say, and gold as a store of value. Except for one thing: The facts don't back it. (Unless you're an American buying bullion because you're worried about the inexorable decline of your dollar. In that case, you should be worried.)

Almost every real measure of actual inflation pressure - as opposed to the inflation paranoia inherent in the gold price - shows little in the pipeline. One of the best long-term indicators of inflation expectations for the next decade, the price premium built into inflation-protected U.S. Treasury bonds, is indicating that prices will rise 1.75 per cent a year.

Yet the bullion pushers forge ahead. After 20 years of being wrong when gold was stuck around $350 an ounce through the 1980s and 1990s, they are nothing if not persistent.

The key to their argument is the man they call "Helicopter" Ben Bernanke, the head of the U.S. Federal Reserve, and all the cash he and his peers at central banks around the world are creating to revive growth in the world economy. At some point, that money will sluice out of the banks into the economy, inflation will be upon us like a tsunami, and gold will be treasured as a store of value.

The proof, as gold bugs see it, is in the price of gold. It rises when inflation is a risk, so inflation must be a risk. Get it?

The problem is one of simple math: Those helicopter-loads of cash, even if they were making it into the real economy, are not nearly big enough to fill the Sudbury-size crater in the global economy created by the crash in the world's housing and stock markets.

The Fed balance sheet, a focal point of inflation hawks, has expanded by about $1.3-trillion as Mr. Bernanke pumped cash into the lending system. Added to that, the Obama administration has come up with close to $1-trillion in stimulus, the biggest of a global group of packages totalling about $5-trillion.

However, the decline in assets is much bigger. The value of global stocks has fallen by more $17-trillion since the markets peaked in 2007 and U.S. housing is down more than $4-trillion since topping out in 2006.

On top of that, the financial institutions that are supposed to push that cash into the economy aren't doing it.

U.S. bank lending, by some estimates, is contracting at the fastest rate since the Depression. Bank credit in August in the U.S. shrank at an "epic" pace equal to 9 per cent a year, according to David Rosenberg, chief strategist at Gluskin Sheff.

The result is a real money supply that's actually shrinking at the same time as the jobless rate is at a cyclical high and factories are idle.

Not surprisingly, executives scoff at the idea of raising prices any time soon, with one telling The Globe and Mail not so long ago that it would be "very cavalier" to even try. That utter lack of pricing power is clearly reflected in Friday's numbers showing that underlying inflation is still slowing on both sides of the border.

To that, many gold bulls retort that central banks are going to miss the transition to hyperinflation when it comes, or be unwilling to fight it with higher interest rates because of political pressure from indebted governments.

That seems far-fetched. Central banks have become very good at keeping inflation anchored. In the 18 years since the Bank of Canada adopted the goal of keeping inflation centred between 1 and 3 per cent in Canada, consumer price increases have averaged a 2.1-per-cent pace. Not bad.

There will likely be plenty of warning before inflation takes hold, as capacity use creeps up and unemployment ebbs.

Those real facts go a long way to explaining why even though gold is at $1,000, inflation fears have yet to become mainstream, and discussion of exit strategies to pare back government stimulus programs before prices take off - talk that dominated the last big G20 meeting in April - has largely, and mercifully, fallen by the wayside.

Mercifully, because if the gold bulls and their view on inflation really held sway, the exit would already be on. Interest rates would already be rising and the world would be well on its way back into recession. The bugs should be careful what they wish for.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Time to sell...
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

"indicators of inflation expectations for the next decade, the price"

monetary inflation, not asset inflation. they frequently are inversely correlated. and it's the monetary inflation that you buy gold for.

Also, as I said, repeatedly, gold bugs should be selling now...but only temporarily. Gold is not even halfway to its inflation-adjusted 80s top.

Sell now, get back in in October when it drops is my plan.

Also I wanted to respond to DanS. Traditionally, gold has been dismissed for individual investors more for its opportunity cost than its transaction cost.

These days, with physical gold holding/trading companies (as opposed to ETFs) like kitco and goldmoney, the transaction cost (storage, transportation, and mark-up) is low.

There is of course risk with smaller dealers who try to take advantage of the ignorant. For example, shopping around different small dealers in Korea I have found $300 per Oz price differences between stores literally right next to each other. Of COURSE get a receipt and test the purity of you gold at different dealer. The point is that the transaction cost is not really an issue if you do your homework.

The opportunity cost of holding gold vs the stockmarket depends on if you view the stockmarket in inflation adjusted terms or not and of course when you bought.

If you are just getting in now, then you're doing greater fool theory investing. If you had bought when I did, good on ya. There should be another buying opportunity coming up next month or two, because there is a lot of 'dumb money' that needs to get shaken out when the see the price drop a lot. That's when you buy. Whatever you do DO NOT BUY NOW, that is total herd instinct/bubblemania.

However, long term:
        1. US interest rates are still under 3%.
        2. China, both the state and private individuals, are still going on a gold binge.

When those two factors are removed, I'll go back to US index funds, but not before.
        "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
        "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
        "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Gold-bugs are nearly as bad as christians.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker View Post
            "indicators of inflation expectations for the next decade, the price"

monetary inflation, not asset inflation. they frequently are inversely correlated. and it's the monetary inflation that you buy gold for.

Also, as I said, repeatedly, gold bugs should be selling now...but only temporarily. Gold is not even halfway to its inflation-adjusted 80s top.

Sell now, get back in in October when it drops is my plan.

Also I wanted to respond to DanS. Traditionally, gold has been dismissed for individual investors more for its opportunity cost than its transaction cost.

These days, with physical gold holding/trading companies (as opposed to ETFs) like kitco and goldmoney, the transaction cost (storage, transportation, and mark-up) is low.

There is of course risk with smaller dealers who try to take advantage of the ignorant. For example, shopping around different small dealers in Korea I have found $300 per Oz price differences between stores literally right next to each other. Of COURSE get a receipt and test the purity of you gold at different dealer. The point is that the transaction cost is not really an issue if you do your homework.

The opportunity cost of holding gold vs the stockmarket depends on if you view the stockmarket in inflation adjusted terms or not and of course when you bought.

If you are just getting in now, then you're doing greater fool theory investing. If you had bought when I did, good on ya. There should be another buying opportunity coming up next month or two, because there is a lot of 'dumb money' that needs to get shaken out when the see the price drop a lot. That's when you buy. Whatever you do DO NOT BUY NOW, that is total herd instinct/bubblemania.

However, long term:
            1. US interest rates are still under 3%.
            2. China, both the state and private individuals, are still going on a gold binge.

When those two factors are removed, I'll go back to US index funds, but not before.
            I'd rather buy puts.
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
              Gold-bugs are nearly as bad as christians.
              There is a certain sense of delusion and faith, isn't there?
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                There is a certain sense of delusion and faith, isn't there?
                I always ask gold bugs what their exit strategy is and it always seems to be shades of that the world as we know it will end and gold will be the currency of our Mad Max universe.
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                X