Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Female societies less prone to violence, study says.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female societies less prone to violence, study says.

Just ignore the data.

Anthropologists have never directly observed a female-dominated society among humans, but many have speculated that such societies would be less violent than male-dominated ones. Now that postulate has been challenged by hard evidence. Bonobos, a primate species that is female-dominated and bisexual, have been observed repeatedly hunting and killing other apes in the wild.
    Admittedly, these are bonobos, and not humans; additionally, it's on io9 which isn't a science blog, but a science fiction one. (The study itself is, tragically, behind a paywall.)

But it's clear that female-dominate societies are less violent than male ones, because females are more 'sensitive'.
    B♭3

Anybody who thinks women are less violent then men should spend a night out in newcastle, classy girls.
    Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

But are they more prone to nagging?
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

In my experience some women are good at getting their fellas into fights.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Mrs. Snuggles
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Why would you want to read the link?
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              Mrs. Snuggles
              Let's see how long my fishing lure takes...

That said, I suppose the argument can be made that it's not female-dominated societies which are less prone to violence, but bisexual-dominated ones. Or, say, non-human-dominated societies are more prone to violence.
              B♭3

Comment

There would be universal peace and love and a monthly all out war to the death. But mostly far superior peace and love.
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

The reason they've never observed one directly, is that such societies in Africa and NA attracted the attention of heavily armed male dominated societies that wiped them out. At least that what happened to the branch of Algonquins and a tribe in southern Nigeria, both of which were actually ruled by women.
                  No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                  "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

It's showing up in Wired, too.

So it seems that just becaus one sex is more 'sensitive', that doesn't necessarily mean they're any less violent--socially or physically.

More studies would be needed, of course, but.
                    B♭3

Comment

Re: Female societies less prone to violence, study says.

Originally posted by Mrs Snuggles
                      Just ignore the data.

Admittedly, these are bonobos, and not humans; additionally, it's on io9 which isn't a science blog, but a science fiction one. (The study itself is, tragically, behind a paywall.)

But it's clear that female-dominate societies are less violent than male ones, because females are more 'sensitive'.
                      I think the fact that there aren't any to observe lends credence to the hypothesis.

Comment

Y: The Last Man
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Are there any female-dominated human societies in the world?

Comment

Well there's my house.
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Nah, there are a simple reason to why there are no female dominated societies.

Both males and females are violent creatures, but while male violence are society building (unity against furriners), female violence are society destructing due to catfight and setting male up against male inside society.

Obviously that study sucks
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X