Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Floyd
    No, I'm psychic and can see the future.
    Well, there's considerable evidence that we've had atheist - or at least nonreligious - presidents in the past.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by rah

Classic
      I know you're not making fun of my typo on fictitious. When you're a gangstah like me, your high wpm leads to typos like that.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yeah, I screw up the typing all the time. But of course, I really don't consider myself very gangstah.
        Maybe olmanstah but not gangstah.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
          Yeah, I screw up the typing all the time. But of course, I really don't consider myself very gangstah.
          Maybe olmanstah but not gangstah.
          AAHZ and I could give you a crashcourse. It's easy.

Peace out, mad props, word to your muthah,
          Asher
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Hmmm, NO. Child of the 60s
            Once a hippy, always a hippy. Ok, maybe a more conservative hippy.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

With our economy in trouble, and many many other vital issues, we are sidetracked by unimportant gossipy issues like Palin's daughter or her Pastor or Obama's Pastor.

There are enough critical issues to discuss, let's do so.
              And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

What planet are you from.? Elections aren't about issues. They're about perception and inuendos.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Besides I hate those "what are you going to do" questions they ask the candidates, because they sound good but are all just bull****.
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                    What planet are you from.? Elections aren't about issues. They're about perception and inuendos.
                    Sadly, you're right. That's probably why Washington won't change.

Now if we did have planetary elections ....
                    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

• Kodos or Kang would get my vote since they are both really the same.
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah
                        Besides I hate those "what are you going to do" questions they ask the candidates, because they sound good but are all just bull****.
                        But it's fun to see the numbers not add up.

McSame wants to keep Bushes $400+ billion deficit, add to it with more tax cuts and balance the budget all in a single term in office.

Obama wants to re-institute Paygo by giving a huge tax cuts to 85% of Americans and by increasing spending.

Comment

• And they say it with a straight face, even when the interviewer is giving them that "they pay you in cash, which is just as good as money" look.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• On that note, does anyone here know of a study on the frequency with which politicians in the U.S. actually keep campaign promises? I know that it ain't very high, but how low is it, and does that hold true across party lines and other variables?

It's just a little weird that we think we ought to judge candidates by their stances on the Issues--which are generally perfectly plastic and apparently unrelated to what they will actually do about said Issues once in office, and therefore meaningless--and not by character judgments, which are usually tacky and more often than not irrelevant but at least have some measurable truth value.

Is this just hopeless idealism? Or something in our drinking water? Both? Neither?
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok
                              On that note, does anyone here know of a study on the frequency with which politicians in the U.S. actually keep campaign promises? ...
                              I don't think there's any accurate method for determining whether a campain promise is kept. For example, Bush promised to be "The Education President." He pushed through the "No Child Left Behind Program," but then failed to fully fund it. So, is he the Education Prsident or not??

Comment

• Other issues are, what is the makeup of Congress, changing circumstances, etc. For example, it's kind of hard to fault President Bush 43 for breaking his promise on nation building (only in Afghanistan... let's not get into Iraq) after the 9/11 attacks.
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X