Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian Man nearly drowns on Niagra River, washes ashore in US, charged & jailed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless by 'system' you mean 'SQL server', the answer is probably no

We do have a couple of folks employed in the State department, though, at Apolyton... have you tried them?
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
      Does anybody have an update on this poor soul, or has he been lost in system never to emerge again.

Accidental U.S. 'tourists' can return to Canada pending hearing

Robyn Doolittle
      Staff Reporter

Two Canadian Sea-Dooers accused of entering the U.S. illegally have been released from an American immigration detention facility on their own recognizance.

Jason and Edward Haist, both from the GTA, were arrested this past weekend in Lewiston, N.Y.

The pair were Sea-Dooing in the rapids on the Niagara River Saturday, when Jason was knocked off by large waves. He washed ashore and was taken to hospital, said his girlfriend Catherine Kerr. But after being treated, he arrested by border officials, she said.

Edward had already been taken into custody.

"That is not the only landfall they made that day and that is why they're in removal proceedings," said A.J. Price, a border patrol agent with U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

"And they never `washed up.' That's a big misconception. They swam to shore ... after the accident."

The pair have been held in Batavia, N.Y. They are able to return to Canada to wait for their hearing.

It may be as much as two weeks before they are able to see a judge and plead their case. Otherwise, they could be barred from entering the United States for as long as 5 years.

I love how the border patrol guy is in damage control mode...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Maybe they were smuggling illegal prescription drugs into the US and nearly drowned while attempting to do so

Comment

Snoopy, I tried Rufus but he's as out of the system as we are since he's between postings. You know of someone else?
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

No, Rufus is the only one I'm sure of. I thought there was another person who works in that sort of business, but I'm probably wrong.

Have you tried contacting your House Representative (or the rep of the fiancée, or both)? Often he/she or his/her office can help you navigate through the red tape (and this is one big reason why our seemingly odd system of 'districts' instead of statewide reps is very helpful.)

After all, for them it's not only a sure vote from you and the fiancée, and your family, but great press to put in their next mailer to the district, "I helped get a couple back together when the Man was trying to screw them over," complete with pictures...

Comment

Ok well thanks anyway.

Comment

(I dans'ed in some suggestions above...)

Comment

Yes, I advised my pal to do that but he's trying to be patient and figuring the system is going to move on to screwing someone else soon. If not, thats the next thing. Thanks for the advise Snoopy.

Comment

Originally posted by Propaganda

Canadians burned down the US capitol! You think Americans are stupid?!?!1/1/1
                    Given the sort of approval ratings Congress and the President have, you'd imagine that this wouldn't upset too many people .
                    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Maybe someone should smuggle some common sense into the US...
                      The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Maybe we should kidnap you.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The North Koean solution to the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer

Canadian aggressor!
                            Damn straight! You Yanks are lucky it isn't winter, or a column of armoured dog-sleds would be heading for Washington to avenge this insult to Greater Canada.
                            Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                            I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Aha! I knew they were preparing to let slip the Canadian sled dogs of war!

Comment

Cry "Hoser!" and let slip the sled dogs of war!!!
                                Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                                I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Working...
                                X