Why does India suck at the Olympics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does India suck at the Olympics?

I mean, when you compare them with China the contrast is striking.

Even if only 5% of their population cared about sports, their result should be much better.
    I need a foot massage

What kind of sports do Indians like anyway?
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
      Scavenging for food, Bollywood Danceoffs, shanty building, elite caste auditions, rickshaw racing, and Forcibly arranged weddings.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
        They enjoy a good cricket game, they love cricket, and they are also obsessed with cricket. Oh yeah, they like cricket too.
        The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Perhaps because they don't have a command economy or a government who is willing to basically enslave potential athletes, and even breed them?

<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

To succeed in Olympics, a powerful state/government is needed.

Indian government is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Scavenging for food, Bollywood Danceoffs, shanty building, elite caste auditions, rickshaw racing, and Forcibly arranged weddings.
              you forgot pyre building.

Comment

Also, when your country still has the plague, that hurts your chances.
                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Slovenia, Thailand, Zimbabwe, Uzbekistan, and Azerbaijan are among the dozens of countries to have more medals than India. Based on population alone, you would expect enough potential competitors to snatch away more than 3 medals.

Comment

Re: Why does India suck at the Olympics?

Originally posted by Barnabas
                    I mean, when you compare them with China the contrast is striking.

Even if only 5% of their population cared about sports, their result should be much better.
                    For one thing, India may not sink as much money into training. Some of the countries ramseya mentions, I'd have to question whether sinking that money was a value. I'm inclined to say "No".
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Olympic medal acquisition is the one thing that India deemed it best to outsource to the rest of the world.

Comment

Exactly, Winston.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I don't think India has much of a sports culture - outside of cricket, I can't think of any sport in which Indians participate much -hell, even soccer, which is the world sport, and one in whcih you can be dirt poor and still do well, and India is a non-entity.
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Indians love squash. When that becomes an Olympic event (it's being considered for 2016) India will be a powerhouse.
                            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I hate it. I don't like okra either, though. Egg plant. None of that healthy garbage.

Comment

Working...
                              X