X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DinoDoc
    I wanna hear Hogan's Heroes in German.
    From wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan's...man_popularity

[Hogan's Heroes] was not broadcast in Germany over German TV until 1992. The original dubbed version was titled Stacheldraht und Fersengeld (Barbed Wire and Turning Tail); it was then re-dubbed and released in 1994 as Ein Käfig voller Helden (A Cage of Heroes), which gained considerable popularity (The show was broadcast over US Armed Forces Network in 1974 for about one week, but the German government strongly requested its removal, which was acted upon by the management of Armed Forces TV).

In the newer German version, the Germans speak in various different accents which makes it funnier to a German audience than Standard German would. It amplifies the contrast between Klink (who portrays the Prussian stereotype but has a Saxony accent) and Schultz (who portrays the Urbayern Bavarian stereotype). Furthermore Klink’s choice of vocabulary and memorable quotes add jokes which would not be present in a direct translation of the English language original. Another major change is that Newkirk, who speaks with a British accent in the original, is changed to an exaggerated stutterer in the German version. Apart from that there are numerous deviations from the original plot, introducing elements which were not present in the original (emphasis added). Amongst other things it introduces a new character, Kalinke, who is Klink’s cleaning lady and permanent mistress. She is referred to, but never seen.
    Edit, from imdb HH trivia http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0058812/trivia

Although the show was a hit in syndication in Germany, certain liberties had to be taken. It's illegal to say "Heil Hitler" in Germany today (and is considered bad taste), so when the German soldiers gave the party salute, the characters said "How high is your corn?" The absurdity of it all was especially funny to German viewers.
    Last edited by Lord Avalon; August 5, 2008, 16:49.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Although the show was a hit in syndication in Germany, certain liberties had to be taken. It's illegal to say "Heil Hitler" in Germany today (and is considered bad taste), so when the German soldiers gave the party salute, the characters said "How high is your corn?" The absurdity of it all was especially funny to German viewers.
      Good. But I enjoyed more Klink's original "Hmm? What?? Oh, oh, yes. Heil, Hitler."

Comment

Yeah, Klink would always forget to say it, then mutter it with that miserable look on his face, barely raising his hand.
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

My favorite was always, Major Hochsetter's "WHAT IS THIS MAN DOING HERE"
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
            Is Verheiratet mit Kinder so strange (assuming my translation isn't)? Married with children isn't idiomatic.
            It is at least ambiguous, because it practically means the same as "married to children".

A lot of American stuff is (slightly) renamed here. For instance Spongebob Squarepants is called Spongebob Schwammkopf (Spongebob Spongehead) here, because you can't assume from the average audience (little children) to know what "sponge" means.

Comment

The russkies did a ripoff of Married with Children. I wonder if that's still on the air.

I liked MwC but didn't go out of my way to watch it. I never liked the neighbors, usually I only liked Al.
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                ... I never liked the neighbors, usually I only liked Al.
                I did like the episode where Marcy wakes up with a hangover and a new husband she's never met before.
                She hesitantly asks him, "Dear, what's our last name?"
                "Darcy."
                "My name is Marcy...Darcy?! I sound like a cartoon character! I'll only be able to wear polka dots from now on."

Comment

Working...
                X