Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Going Color Blind

12 years after CA's prop 209:

More than 100 privately funded scholarships given to University of Colorado at Boulder students each year in disciplines ranging from theater to law could be at risk should an amendment pass in November prohibiting public colleges from considering gender or ethnicity when doling out help.

Officials at the state's flagship university are reviewing everything from school-aid programs to rules governing the behemoth admissions office — CU-Boulder receives more than 23,000 applications a year — that currently consider race and socioeconomics as secondary characteristics for admission.

Should voters approve Amendment 46, public higher-education institutions would probably have to alter the way they admit students and give them money.

What many university lawyers and presidents are still unclear about, however, is how privately funded scholarships — with the intent to help students of color or women, for example — will be affected.

Colleges may be prohibited from administering even private scholarships, if they consider race or gender.

CU-Boulder admissions director Kevin McClennan already has begun thinking about how to admit students differently. The school also is contacting private donors who sponsor the scholarships for students based on race, ethnicity or gender to see whether they would be willing to forgo that criteria.

The university did the analysis because of public inquiries about the initiative, officials said.

Because the school says it still values admitting a diverse pool of students, it may instead ask potential students about what kinds of challenges they've overcome or their parents' educational level, McClennan said.

"It becomes more of a socioeconomic and whole-person review, rather than looking at a particular box, race, ethnicity or gender," he said.

This is welcome news to the campaign pushing the measure, called the Colorado Civil Rights Initiative.

Executive director Jessica Peck Corry, who also works for the Independence Institute, said she advocates "colorblind affirmative action."

"This analysis by CU shows what we've known all along — that not a single program would have to go away," she said, noting that CU would simply have to change how it gave out certain scholarships, not eliminate them.

Officials at public colleges and universities across the state are performing similar reviews.

At Metropolitan State College of Denver, president Steve Jordan said the school is talking to lawyers about whether state employees are legally able to decide who gets private scholarships under the proposed law.

Jordan also asked the head of public higher education in Washington state for an analysis of how a law similar to the proposed Amendment 46 in Colorado has affected diversity at public schools there.

California and Michigan have similar laws as well.

"I know in other parts of the country, it's tended to have a chilling effect on students of color and their decision to attend an institution," Jordan said.

Colorado State University spokesman Brad Bohlander said Thursday that should the amendment pass, if a student volunteered ethnicity information in a college-admissions essay, for example, that information would have to be redacted before going to the admissions committee.
    Link

I'm against affirmative action, but I think private schools and scholarships should still have the discretion to consider whatever they want in supply and education and money. Anyway, it probably won't pass. Yet I see this as another step in the US showing how not racist we really are becoming.
    Monkey!!!

I agree, you should be able to spend your money on whatever you want as a private (non profit) organization.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Re: Colorado Going Color Blind

Originally posted by Japher
      Yet I see this as another step in the US showing how not racist we really are becoming.
      So we prove that we are not racist... by ending programs made to aid afflicted minorities??
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Afflicted? I would rather they base their decisions for financial assistance on a socio-economical bases rather than race. Though, you could end up with the same demographics, but at least it won't eliminate someone because of their race...
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Japher's point of view agrees with mine in this case, so he is correct.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Afflicted? I would rather they base their decisions for financial assistance on a socio-economical bases rather than race. Though, you could end up with the same demographics, but at least it won't eliminate someone because of their race...
            I wish I lived in a country in which race-based hiring, firing, access to higher education, access to loans, (you get the idea ) etc. wasn't an issue.

Don't get me wrong, as a nation we've gotten a lot better, but there's still a long way to go.
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
              Japher's point of view agrees with mine in this case, so he is correct.
              See 1st line in sig. Misspelling in original.

Comment

The problem is that minorities are not simply oppressed o the basis of economic class, but also on the color of their skin. If you are attempting to over come racism, you have to apply race based solutions.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Own Goal.
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    The problem is that minorities are not simply oppressed o the basis of economic class, but also on the color of their skin. If you are attempting to over come racism, you have to apply race based solutions.
                    It's kind of hard to tell what is racism and what is a result of the dreadful socio-economic situation a lot of black people find themselves in.

If we change our laws such that these aid programs are based upon socio-economics instead of race, not only would it do much to help minorities, but it would also give us a clearer picture as to how much of the problem is race and how much is the situation.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You can't do both?
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Basing decisions off of race is inherently bad for equality. I wouldn't want to do it unless it were absolutely necessary. There are a lot of other things we can do which aren't based on race, so I'd much rather do those things first before resorting to a lesser kind of discrimination.

And don't try to tell me that affirmative action isn't discrimination, because it very clearly is. I'm not saying it's racist, but it is discriminatory.

Comment

COMRADE, NO! Everything bad in the world is a consequence of the economic disparities caused by the oppression of the proletariat by the capitalist oppressors. Divisions between "race" and "color" are simply smokescreens thrown up by the oppressors to prevent the workers of the world from seeing their situation for what it really is.

FACT: All workers, be they black, brown, yellow, purple, or white, are oppressed by the system which denies them the just rewards for their labor. Your attempts to divide the working class into "races" has been noted, and the Party members responsible for your political education are on their way.

Good day, comrade.
                          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                            Own Goal.

Sorry, not. If someone is oppressed on the basis of race, you cannot ameliorate that oppression by ignoring race. In fact, ignoring race only perpetuates racism, because it refuses to fix the problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                              Own Goal.

Sorry, not. If someone is oppressed on the basis of race, you cannot ameliorate that oppression by ignoring race. In fact, ignoring race only perpetuates racism, because it refuses to fix the problems.
                              Let's play a game. The game is called "Find the Oppressed People." You start with three hundred million points. Every person you point to who has not been oppressed on the basis of race subtracts one from your score. Hint: try not to point at entire races.

Comment

Working...
                              X