No announcement yet.

"Well, here it goes buddy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For example -- does the law permit a property owner to use a gun on an unarmed thief who was trying to steal your car, plasma television, or some other valuable piece of property?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

You're the American. You tell us.

Comment

But I'm not an American lawyer -- maybe someone like Imran is more suited to answering this question.

Comment

All I know is a friend of my family got charged with battery after stabbing with his key a number of teens who attacked him. Having done it in his own defense wouldn't help, he only got rid of the charge when he argued that he had been defending his briefcase. Of course this is the East German family narrative pointed against the evilness of the capitalist system.

Comment

Imran is not the kind of lawyer.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
              For example -- does the law permit a property owner to use a gun on an unarmed thief who was trying to steal your car, plasma television, or some other valuable piece of property?
              Of course not (except perhaps in Texas... but I dunno if the law allowing deadly force to protect property ever went through... otherwise...). Deadly force can ONLY be used in response to potential deadly force. Never to protect merely property.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Imran is not a very kind lawyer.

It's understood.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  Of course not (except perhaps in Texas... but I dunno if the law allowing deadly force to protect property ever went through... otherwise...). Never to protect merely property.
                  Wrong in tezas. Texas has had for decades deadly force to protect your own property from theft in certain situations. While the law appeared to have some significant qualifications on its face, they are heavily fact and intention loaded, and the practical result is that there is little chance someone will be indited for killing a thief who was carry off a felony amount of loot.
                  Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                  Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                  "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                  From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

As for citizen grand juries, they can reach pretty damn far to let 'good guys' off for smaering 'bad guys'. There was a case in aArizona that I recall from law school days. A citizen shot and killed an unarmed thief breaking into his car, with a scoped rifle, some dozens of meter away, through a locked, steel security gate. No Billed on 'self defense'.
                    As for the relative value of property vs human life, a sizable portion of the population, enough to have reasonable chance of getting a few on any jury, view a thief's or burglar's or street criminal's life as a NEGATIVE value. Just one of those unintended results that can come from empowering citizens
                    Last edited by Lefty Scaevola; July 1, 2008, 21:07.
                    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

• An unintended consequence? Are you sure it was unintended?
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Nope.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Of course not (except perhaps in Texas... but I dunno if the law allowing deadly force to protect property ever went through... otherwise...). Deadly force can ONLY be used in response to potential deadly force. Never to protect merely property.
                          So United States is still a somewhat civilized country.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
                            As for citizen grand juries, they can reach pretty damn far to let 'good guys' off for smaering 'bad guys'. There was a case in aArizona that I recall from law school days. A citizen shot and killed an unarmed thief breaking into his car, with a scoped rifle, some dozens of meter away, through a locked, steel security gate. No Billed on 'self defense'.
                            As for the relative value of property vs human life, a sizable portion of the population, enough to have reasonable chance of getting a few on any jury, view a thief's or burglar's or street criminal's life as a NEGATIVE value. Just one of those unintended results that can come from empowering citizens
                            That was a bad decision on part of the jury. How many more steps would they take to find free-for-all vigilantinism as morally and legally acceptable?

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun

So United States is still a somewhat civilized country.
                              Wrong in tezas.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
                                Wrong in tezas. Texas has had for decades deadly force to protect your own property from theft in certain situations. While the law appeared to have some significant qualifications on its face, they are heavily fact and intention loaded, and the practical result is that there is little chance someone will be indited for killing a thief who was carry off a felony amount of loot.
                                Lefty is correct. I'd add that you can also use deadly force to protect the property of others, and that includes shooting people who are running away after committing a robbery.

I've copied the relevant parts of the statute here:

9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is
                                justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or
                                tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the
                                other under Section 9.41; (9.41 just says he needs to use force to stop them getting away – Ag.) and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the
                                deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of
                                arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the
                                nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing
                                immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated
                                robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the
                                property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or
                                recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to
                                protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or
                                another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974.
                                Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, § 1.01, eff. Sept. 1,

§ 9.43. PROTECTION OF THIRD PERSON'S PROPERTY. A person
                                is justified in using force or deadly force against another to
                                protect land or tangible, movable property of a third person if,
                                under the circumstances as he reasonably believes them to be, the
                                actor would be justified under Section 9.41 or 9.42 in using force
                                or deadly force to protect his own land or property and:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the unlawful
                                interference constitutes attempted or consummated theft of or
                                criminal mischief to the tangible, movable property; or

(2) the actor reasonably believes that:

(A) the third person has requested his protection
                                of the land or property;

(B) he has a legal duty to protect the third
                                person's land or property; or

(C) the third person whose land or property he
                                uses force or deadly force to protect is the actor's spouse, parent,
                                or child, resides with the actor, or is under the actor's care.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974.
                                Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, § 1.01, eff. Sept. 1,
                                It seems pretty clear that Horn had a good case under current Texas law, the fact that current Texas law is bat**** insane notwithstanding.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X