on Nietzsche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McCrea
    "Elevation" is clearly referring to the development of some form of spiritual conciousness
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by McCrea
      So I entirely agree with the author that "evolution does not mean enlightenment". He's simply stating a fact. About the other half of the couplet, well, I simply need more context to be sure. Was he saying simply that the members of the Renaissance were more enlightened? I'd might admit that's probably true today in general, but history is always written by the winners, and I'm not going to speculate on the past at the moment. I'd rather say "...and?" Completely empty without more context for me.
      Well, that's the beauty of a 'quote' Thread

But how would he exactly establish whether those renaissances guys were above his contemporaries in "essential worth" or as you put it "more enlightened"?
      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Not always... the intelligent among us don't have it "pass"

I don't think you're able to lecture me, Imran. I know it's presently one of your main goals in life, but you're doomed to failure.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I didn't quite finish my example, not that it's of any real consequence. "'I'm purely speculating that the legendary Mongol government was very efficient, whether in matters of time, finance, or civil rights. "
          _____
          I see that I used "clearly" too much a few posts ago. Noted.
          Last edited by McCrea; June 20, 2008, 11:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
            The biggest problem with Nietzsche is that most readers simply get it wrong.
            Like Teh Hitler
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
              Well, if he can't himself make clear enough that's mainly his problem
              I find him sufficiently clear. Not crystal clear sure, but clear enough that most of his points can be understood.
              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                I don't think you're able to lecture me, Imran. I know it's presently one of your main goals in life, but you're doomed to failure.
                I know. You are incapable of listening to reason
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Heh, I was just casually pondering the possible analogies between Hitler and Neitzsche, not that I know anything about either. That's freaky, Kid.

Comment

You can't be serious? Nietzsche despised German imperialism and anti-semitism.

Comment

Yes, seriously. I seriously don't know anything about either, just like I said. Seriously.

But oh! "Neitzsche despised German imperialism and anti-semitism." Do you mean "despised" like "Hitler despised the Jews"? Can you say "a-na-lo-gy"?

Bah. I also once wondered if sex with a ball of dough was anything like sex with a woman.
                      Last edited by McCrea; June 20, 2008, 12:13.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                        "The European of today, in his essential worth, falls far below the European of the Renaissance; the process of evolution does not necessarily mean elevation, enhancement, strengthening."

Example for typical Nietzsche bull from "The Antichrist"
                        "bull"? The Europe he described was about to destroy itself happily and willingly in two World Wars, and was about to commit horrible attrocities, and not oly in Europe.

His statement is rather correct.
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

@OB
                          He only disliked German Imperialism because he thought that germany would export degenerative culture to others nation. He really disliked german contemporary culture, he had, more admiration for french.
                          bleh

Comment

You're right that his primary concern was cultural and not about "saving lives". This said, he considered that imperialism and nationalism were such degenerated ideologies that he was above them - in the sense that they needed not be "refuted".

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                              You're right that his primary concern was cultural and not about "saving lives". This said, he considered that imperialism and nationalism were such degenerated ideologies that he was above them - in the sense that they needed not be "refuted".
                              What was his opinion of Napoleon?
                              bleh

Comment

edit: It's an interesting problem. I'd say that he admired him for other reasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X