on Nietzsche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• on Nietzsche

I haven't studied Nietzsche, but he has many quotes that I appreciate. Here's my interpretation of one of his.
    _____

"The visionary lies to himself, the liar only to others." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Who is a liar? His shame may be a deed once done. His
    pride is the ignorance of others. His sloth conforms to
    normalcy. Any reason matters little; he is one that passes
    by.

Who is a visionary? He thinks he can, when he cannot.
    He surely fights when beaten. He finds advantage when
    devoid of opportunity. The cause matters little; he is one
    whom men will follow.

If the battle is lost before it's begun,
    or you want to see yet the sun has set,
    those who denied common sense have made fantasy real.

_____
    by Rob McCrea, submitted for public review.
    Last edited by McCrea; June 20, 2008, 02:43.

Is that you Hera?
    Blah

Comment

"Whatever does not destroy me, only makes me stronger."

Comment

like taking a big dump.

Comment

WTF
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

"The European of today, in his essential worth, falls far below the European of the Renaissance; the process of evolution does not necessarily mean elevation, enhancement, strengthening."

Example for typical Nietzsche bull from "The Antichrist"
            Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
              "The European of today, in his essential worth, falls far below the European of the Renaissance; the process of evolution does not necessarily mean elevation, enhancement, strengthening."
              Hmm, I don't mind the statement, but I certainly wouldn't put stock in it. What's he know about the Renaissance? (That's rhetorical... but I may defend it anyway.)

Example for typical Nietzsche bull from "The Antichrist"
              I don't think this example is bull, except that everything is. [should I highlight that?] Everything is bull.

Comment

I guess most go through a Nietzsche phase of some duration.
                Don't worry. Don't panic. It will pass.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  Not always... the intelligent among us don't have it "pass"
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by McCrea

Hmm, I don't mind the statement, but I certainly wouldn't put stock in it. What's he know about the Renaissance? (That's rhetorical... but I may defend it anyway.)
                    He just uses certain 'patterns' of renaissance stuff to support his philosphophical points in various works IIRC. His stuff created something like a 'renaissance cult' in intellectual/literature circles, just that what he wrote hasn't much to do with what research found about the renaissance.

I don't think this example is bull, except that everything is. [eh, do I have to highlight that?] Everything is bull.
                    I don't think that everything is bull, except this example is. Cool how this works too
                    Blah

Comment

The two from SMAC:

Man is a rope, tied between beast and overman--a rope
                      over an abyss. A dangerous across, a dangerous on-the-way,
                      a dangerous looking-back, a dangerous shuddering and
                      stopping. What is great in man is that he is a bridge and
                      not an end: what can be loved in man is that he is an overture
                      and a going under. I love those who do not know how to
                      live, for they are those who cross over.
                      ^
                      ^ -- Friedrich Nietzsche,
                      ^ "Thus Spoke Zarathustra", Datalinks

Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and
                      believers. Fellow creators the creator seeks--those who write
                      new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and
                      fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the
                      harvest.
                      ^
                      ^ -- Friedrich Nietzsche,
                      ^ "Thus Spoke Zarathustra", Datalinks
                      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

"the process of evolution does not necessarily mean elevation, enhancement, strengthening."
                        While it's true that evolution does clearly, sometimes, indicate strength and some form of improvement, that is clearly not the author's intention. "Elevation" is clearly referring to the development of some form of spiritual conciousness, and I believe "enhancement" and "strengthening" should as well.

So I entirely agree with the author that "evolution does not mean enlightenment". He's simply stating a fact. About the other half of the couplet, well, I simply need more context to be sure. Was he saying simply that the members of the Renaissance were more enlightened? I'd might admit that's probably true today in general, but history is always written by the winners, and I'm not going to speculate on the past at the moment. I'd rather say "...and?" Completely empty without more context for me.
                        Last edited by McCrea; June 20, 2008, 09:20.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro

I don't think that everything is bull, except this example is. Cool how this works too
                          Yes, i was certainly prepared to say that saying "everything is bull" was a bunch of bull.

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Nietzsche phase? Not me (some interest, not much), but thanks far caring.

Silly thread was supposed to be about my writing, but it's good. We can rip up dead guys instead of me.
                          Last edited by McCrea; June 20, 2008, 09:41.

Comment

The biggest problem with Nietzsche is that most readers simply get it wrong.
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Well, if he can't himself make clear enough that's mainly his problem
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X