Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel to make a peace offer to Hamas, Lebanon

No thread on this yet?

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Israel has approved a ceasefire to end months of bitter clashes with the Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas in Gaza, Israeli officials have confirmed.
    onfirmed.

Under the terms of the truce, which is set to begin on Thursday, Israel will ease its blockade on the Gaza Strip.

At the same time, talks to release an Israeli soldier held by Hamas would intensify, an Israeli official said.

Later, Israel said it was also interested in direct, bilateral talks with Lebanon.

Rocket attacks

Hamas, which controls Gaza, says it is confident that all militants will abide by the truce.

GAZA TRUCE TIMETABLE
    map
    0600 (0300 GMT) Thursday ceasefire begins
    After 24 hours, Israel eases crossing restrictions
    After five days, Israel opens commercial crossings
    After two weeks, Egypt starts talks with all sides to seek re-opening of Rafah crossing

Timely Gaza truce to test parties
    Your views: Israelis and Gazans
    Press: Gaza truce is Hamas victory
    Send us your comments

The agreement is due to begin at 0600 (0300 GMT) on Thursday and is supposed to last six months.

Hamas seized control of Gaza in June 2007, driving out forces loyal to Fatah, the political faction led by Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas.

Since then, Israel, the Palestinian Authority and the international community have sought to isolate Hamas.

For Hamas, the ceasefire agreement is an acknowledgement that Israel's economic blockade of Gaza is hurting its administration and is having a hugely detrimental impact on Gaza's population, says the BBC's Wyre Davies in Jerusalem.

The decision to approve the ceasefire was made by Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Defence Minister Ehud Barak. It followed the return of a defence official from Cairo, where talks were held with Egyptian mediators.

Making his first public comment about the truce, Mr Olmert expressed his hope that it would succeed.

But, he added: "We should not have illusions. The terror organisations, and Hamas among them, have not changed their goals."

The White House gave the truce a cautious welcome, saying it hoped Hamas would "give up terrorism".

Ehud Olmert (3 June 2008)
    The Israeli government said that it would give the truce a chance

Earlier, Israeli Radio said eight rockets had been fired from Gaza towards Israel on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Israel said it was ready for talks with Lebanon and would consider all issues of dispute, including the Shebaa Farms, currently occupied by Israel.

Separately, Israel and Syria have been holding indirect peace talks, mediated by Turkey.

A breakthrough in those discussions could bolster Mr Olmert at home, where he faces a corruption scandal, correspondents say.

According to a breakdown of the truce released by Hamas, Israel will ease its restrictions for the trade of certain goods between Gaza and Israel on Friday morning, and open up the crossings for all commercial goods next week.

An Israeli soldier prays next to his tank along the border with Gaza Strip on 18 June 2008
    Hamas says Israel will ease its Gaza border restrictions under the deal

After two weeks, talks will start involving Israel, Hamas, the Palestinian Authority and the EU on reopening the Rafah crossing into Egypt.

An Israeli security source told Israel Radio that negotiations on the return of captured Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit were expected to resume within a few days.

Confirmation of the truce coincided with the publication of a new UN report on the humanitarian situation in Gaza.

The UN said power cuts and fuel shortages meant that more than half of Gaza's population had access to water only every other day, while a quarter received it only every four days.

Before we jump into a discussion on this we should all quell our emotions, and I speak out of experience from dozens of threads on ME matters. There is no reason to indulge in accusations and hateful instults given our levels of education. Modern social science has taught us so much about possible and preferred outcomes that no new situation is ever a reason for fear.

That said, from a purely game theoretical point of view, this means the complete extinction of the state of Israel. Serves them right

Comment

WTF Pekka ?
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
        Before we jump into a discussion on this we should all quell our emotions, and I speak out of experience from dozens of threads on ME matters. There is no reason to indulge in accusations and hateful instults given our levels of education. Modern social science has taught us so much about possible and preferred outcomes that no new situation is ever a reason for fear.

That said, from a purely game theoretical point of view, this means the complete extinction of the state of Israel. Serves them right
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Why did they negotiate with the terrorists?
          Blah

Comment

They aren't dedicated to winning the War
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The cynical side of me is, shall we say, not optimistic.

At best this is a sincere move on Israel's part that will probably break down when one side or the other does something stupid.

At worst this is a calculated move on Israel's part to garner sympathy and put the blame squarely on Hamas' shoulders when Hamas, always willing to indulge Israel, breaks the truce in an attempt to catch the Israelis off guard.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

They hate freedom. We already knew they made baby Jesus cry.

Anyway, I see a cease-fire, but I don't see the bit about a peace offering to Hamas. I see the suggestion of bilateral talks with Lebanon, and mention of ongoing negotiations with Syria.

Oh, and Etchy is a Nazi [/obligatory]

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

<--- was a Wehrmacht officer (picture, not user) but later lefty chancellor.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                    Anyway, I see a cease-fire, but I don't see the bit about a peace offering to Hamas. I see the suggestion of bilateral talks with Lebanon, and mention of ongoing negotiations with Syria.
                    Also, "to do" means possibility in the future, not fact, but the blogs will prove me right either way.

Comment

Anyway, I see a cease-fire, but I don't see the bit about a peace offering to Hamas.
                      Teh true believers could agree to a cease-fire with the infidels, but to a real peace?
                      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy

Also, "to do" means possibility in the future, not fact, but the blogs will prove me right either way.
                        Bah. Misleading thread title. BURN HIM!

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

What a fiasco, where's Snuggy when you need him.
                          Blah

Comment

BURN HIM!

-Arrian
                            QFT!
                            bleh

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              They aren't dedicated to winning the War
                              Backing down at this node might wield a higher payoff than the expected utility of going to war.

Comment

Working...
                              X