Macedonia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Barnabas
    Who cares if black americans think Cleopatra was a black woman, let them believe that if it makes them happy. It is no big issue! "
    Then why didn't you post a protest in the CivRev thread where people have been complaining over the black Cleopatra Firaxis is trying to push on us?
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

moral relativism You don´t care about truth
      Ahem, see my previous post.

Cherry picking

Now unless I see your post in that thread, I must assume your argument void and that you have in fact have no problem with relativism.
      Last edited by Heraclitus; May 26, 2008, 11:19.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

• Why is any sort of relativism called "moral relativism" even when there's no moral problem involved?
        Blah

Comment

• The important thread I spoke off

I didn't see Markos there either. So what is it? Are we moral relativists or activists for truth? You can't have it both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
            Every country and nation is based on myths and lies. Macedonia is no different from any other country in this regard.
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

• LS

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBro
                Why is any sort of relativism called "moral relativism" even when there's no moral problem involved?
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Claiming one's own relativism the truth

Since national myths are inherently fraudulent, I think it's BS to call out one country for inventing its past and not the others.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Would you have recognized these guys as huns?

The Hungarian parliament have rejected an attempt by people claiming descent from Attila the Hun to be recognised as an ethnic minority.
                    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Are they huns or crazy people who like to wear funny hats?

I need a foot massage

Comment

Modern Turks, for sure most of them have greek christian ancestors , don´t claim Thales of Miletus as a Turk. Fyromites should do the same.

It is the greeks who are being reasonable in this issue, those who ridiculize Greece don´t care about truth. They are like those who say : Who cares if black americans think Cleopatra was a black woman, let them believe that if it makes them happy. It is no big issue! "Macedonia" is a poor exyugoslav republic, if they think their ancestor Marched all through Iran 2300 years ago, let them believe it!

Modern Greeks are the remnant of the Greeks who were not turkified and islamized during the last 700 years. I think they have a right to defend their heritage.
                      I would agree with you, but OTOH, I cannot completely blame modern brits (angles, saxons, normans) for including the britons in their history; modern frenchmen (franks) the gauls; modern spaniards (visigoths) the iberians;...
                      Modern irishmen are the remnants of the celts who were not romanized, gothified, germanized. They have a right to defend their smelly barbarian culture heritage.
                      The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heraclitus
                        OMG teh evil Macedonian superpower is out to conquer poor little Greece and deny its citizens human rights!
                        can you be an ally with a nation that accuses you of oppressing a minority of it's people?
                        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Heraclitus
                          The important thread I spoke off

I didn't see Markos there either. So what is it? Are we moral relativists or activists for truth? You can't have it both ways.
                          after the various alexander depictions, i've given up on firaxis artists and leader's art...

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkG
                            not sure what you mean by "late", given that the Argead dynasty goes back to the 8th century
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argead_Dynasty
                            A leading dynasty being Greek doesn't mean the populace is Greek or that the culture can be defined as dominantly Greek in nature.

Originally posted by Heraclitus
                            And that makes a difference how? How about the douzens, nay at least a hundred states around the world that call themselves with a name derived from a foreign language.

I suppose America is therefore Roman, since its name is derived from the latin name of Amerigo Vesspucci; Americus Vespucius.
                            None, I was just pondering.

On the other hand. The Macedonian identity is clearly a modern construct. In antiquity the whole area became sort of Hellenic in nature, including Macedonia (although differences remained between geographically distinct regions). Then again in the following centuries op till now many events happened of which I know very little, but that nevertheless have made the Greek or Macedonian claim a bit pointless. Antiquity's a long time ago...

Belgium is called Belgium after some Celtic and German tribes in Caesar's day. Silly, because over the past two millenia the people living here have evolved and mixed with so many others that the name can hardly be justified. It's the same thing.

All that identity-building and nationalistic banner-waving of the past 1,5-2 centuries in order to feel part of a group is so ridiculous. Individualism is not thriving at all. People still want to lodge themselves in a safe environment composed of similar folk.
                            It can prove succesful though, like US patriotism. They have all the luck they don't have to deal with a lot of neighbours and contenders of equal strength there of course.
                            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Would you have recognized these guys as huns?
                              I don't have anywhere near enough information.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by Traianvs
                                A leading dynasty being Greek doesn't mean the populace is Greek or that the culture can be defined as dominantly Greek in nature.
                                how about language, religion, customs?

Comment

Working...
                                X