A question for dutch speakers! Quick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for dutch speakers! Quick!

I need that for exam, which I have tomorrow.

htf do You pronounce:

- Gysbrechts
    - Abraham Hendriksz van Beyeren
    - Floris van Schooten
    - Willem van Aelst

also, how do You pronounce ij thing?

Please help
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

I will check it again in teh morning, and I expect teh answer
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

Pronunciation-wise, ij = Dutch ei ~= German ei (mein/dein/sein). In non-'computerised' form ij is actually one letter (basically y + umlaut) that replaces the y in the Dutch alphabet (except in foreign loan words, of which the Dutch language has many).

Pronunciation of those names (and the letter ij):

(edit: dammit, we don't support mp3 attachments, need to fix that, zipped it up in the mean time)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Locutus; May 11, 2008, 12:47.
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Re: A question for dutch speakers! Quick!

Originally posted by Heresson

- Gysbrechts

Please help
        You're screwed buddy

Forget about the 'ij', no way you'll be able to pronounce that.

Are you studying for your 'inburgeringscursus'?
        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

When needing something for an exam or so, never ask for help or even start to learn stuff until it's the day before you're going to need it
          Blah

Comment

Hmmm, looks like those are all Dutch baroque-era painters. I hadn't heard of any of them.

Originally posted by Locutus
            In non-'computerised' form ij is actually one letter (basically y + umlaut) that replaces the y in the Dutch alphabet (except in foreign loan words, of which the Dutch language has many).
            That's debatable. And it's certainly not "y + umlaut" though it slightly resembles that. It's more of a ligature, certainly historically speaking, since it was originally two i's.
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Re: Re: A question for dutch speakers! Quick!

Originally posted by germanos
              And we haven't even covered "ui" and "eu" yet

Comment

As one of the few Flemish Dutch speakers, I have to note that the "ij" should not really be pronounced like the German mein/dein/sein. Them northern cheese-eaters pronounce it a bit like that because they are jealous of their powerful eastern neighbours and attempt to imitate them

They also pronounce a "g" exactly like a "ch"

It's pointless to even try anyway. Simply pronounce it all like an Englishman would.

Btw Locutus, aren't you from Limburg? Your Dutch is still somewhat okay
                "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs

Btw Locutus, aren't you from Limburg? Your Dutch is still somewhat okay
                  Ouch!

Take a look at his avatar
                  "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Re: Re: A question for dutch speakers! Quick!

Originally posted by germanos
                    I think anyone who lived in Syria for a while (and presumably made at least a token effort to learn Arabic) should find learning Dutch a casual stroll in the park

Originally posted by Mercator
                    That's debatable. And it's certainly not "y + umlaut" though it slightly resembles that. It's more of a ligature, certainly historically speaking, since it was originally two i's.
                    I know quite well it's not an umlaut, but that's the easiest way to explain it to those durn furriners without resorting to a full lecture on Dutch historo-linguistics

As one of the few Flemish Dutch speakers

Heresson wasn't asking about speech impediments, he was asking about Dutch
                    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Re: Re: Re: A question for dutch speakers! Quick!

Originally posted by Locutus

I think anyone who lived in Syria for a while (and presumably made at least a token effort to learn Arabic) should find learning Dutch a casual stroll in the park
                      When I left Beirut, I went to my last 'arabic-for-expats' class with an egg, an onion and a Gouda cheese. It was a great time seeing the teacher with a knot in her tongue for a change

Comment

- Geisbrechts
                        - Aabraham Hendrieks van Beiurun
                        - Floories van Schootun
                        - Willem van Aalst
                        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Bollox

phonetically this is it:

[ãåisbrå÷ts]
                          [abráham hÃ¥ndrɪks ván bÃ¥iərən]
                          edit: okay, forum doesn't allow the symbols :/

OH
                          Heresson wasn't asking about speech impediments, he was asking about Dutch
                          That's funny, seeing the Dutch have been massacring Dutch over the last 30-40 years or so.

v => f
                          w => v
                          g => ch
                          s => sj
                          z => sj (not quite like the above letter yet, but give it another few decades)

next: for some odd reason 7 (or 'zeven') is pronounced sjeuven
                          the r is becoming this odd guttural sound (much resembling the American r imo)
                          Dutch nearly always overexaggerate the pronounciation of the diphtongs. This is hard to explain forumwise so nvm.
                          Most importantly: all Dutch write with at least 1 spelling mistake / 3 sentences, with a 50% probability of it being a d/t mistake.
                          Last edited by Traianvs; May 11, 2008, 20:29.
                          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

/me sees alot of potential in this thread and will keep a close eye on it.
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs
                              Most importantly: all Dutch write with at least 1 spelling mistake / 3 sentences, with a 50% probability of it being a d/t mistake.
                              I recognize this, and it's really sad The worst I think I've ever seen was someone writing "kwalitijd"

Oh well, no surprise the Belgians usually win "Het Groot Dictee der Nederlandse Taal" or at "10 voor Taal"

Comment

Working...
                              X