Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't anyone volunteer to fight in Darfur?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn't anyone volunteer to fight in Darfur?

Throughout the 20th century, many times, regions of strife attracted thousands of noble idealists who were not afraid to pick up arms and fight in wars in distant countries. These days, the tragedy that keeps unraveling in Darfur doesn't seem to attract such people, although the plead of the people there is worldwide?

Why is this the case?
    urgh.NSFW

probably because of what happened to all those noble idealists.

Comment

It would reveal the hypocricy of the left, that is for sure. OH NO BEING IN IRAQ IS WRONG SURE SADDAM WAS EVIL BUT HE IS SOVEREIGN! OH BUT DARFUR IS DIFFERENT! THEY'RE BLACK! AND DON CHEADLE MADE A MOVIE ABOUT IT AND IT WAS ALMOST AS GOOD AS OCEANS 11!

The leftists would piss themselves as I pointed this out, and they would run home only to discover I had slept with their wives as part of my victory lap over their incompetence.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
        It would reveal the hypocricy of the left, that is for sure. OH NO BEING IN IRAQ IS WRONG SURE SADDAM WAS EVIL BUT HE IS SOVEREIGN! OH BUT DARFUR IS DIFFERENT! THEY'RE BLACK! AND DON CHEADLE MADE A MOVIE ABOUT IT AND IT WAS ALMOST AS GOOD AS OCEANS 11!
        QFT. Damned if you do and damned if you don't
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

A win-win situation... for teh lefties
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Their road to success is always under construction :FROWN:

Comment

It's like playing Russian roulette with an automatic

Comment

Red sky in the morning, sailor's warning; red sky at night, sailor's delight; unless you are a LIBERAL

Comment

Any way you slice it, it still won't come up good

Comment

You mean individuals? I'm sure there's few in there, but if you're a volunteer or a mercenary, why would you go to Darfur? Basically you have to be black or have a clear employer or troop if you're white. Plus you have to feel for the cause enough to go in and just sort of ... there's not really any places where you can check in and say I'm joining. So that's a problem for individuals.

That, plus there's helluva lot better places to fight in Africa than Darfur. You can find any cause or any ideal to fight for around the world, Darfur isn't just attractive enough for individuals, it doesn't make much sense, even if you're for the sort of humanity of it, because you can do that **** elsewhere as well and probably have a better chance at getting something done. It's simply the worst call.

Larger entities? Who knows. Maybe it's about money. Costs a lot, no returns. Lots of misery already, you can always choose. Commit to that ****hole and you'll be there for a long time, it's high risk and low yield. HUmanity is all about picking yer spots these days. Too bad.
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I think conflicts like Darfur are much more difficult to judge then say, the Spanish Civil War, often you don't have clear good/bad, but multiple sides involved in ****. Sure, there's the idea of protecting the civilians, but if you feel you don't have a trustworthy side that can run the country better than the current guys you'd either need intl efforts to rebuilt such a country (which could still go wrong if foreign presence is not accepted) or watch how the country/idea you fought for gets lost again.

Of course then there's the whole laziness, ignorance, fear etc line of reasons....
                        Blah

Comment

Re: Why doesn't anyone volunteer to fight in Darfur?

Originally posted by Az
                          Why is this the case?
                          From what I gather, the situation is now mostly stable in Darfur, and is extremely far from the ongoing genocide it was a few years ago.

The Darfuri are now facing a humanitarian crisis, and there are plenty of NGOs there, with idealists of all stripes trying to make a difference.
                          There's also an international peacekeeping force mostly manned by the African Union IIRC.

We recently had a scandal over here, about a NGO that wanted to "save Darfuri orphans from GENOCIDE!!1", and having French families adopt them. However, once there, seeing the lack of active killing, and the lack of available orphans, they tried to send non-orphans to France. A bit less idealism would have helped them to contribute seriously to the Darfur situation, which is in need of actual help, not of feelgood white man's burden.
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

The civilians getting killed have people representing them. They're the ones to side with, IMO.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

which is in need of actual help, not of feelgood white man's burden.

What "white man's burden" has to do with it? Were the volunteers in Spain's Civil war excercising a bit of "white man's burden" as well?

Btw, the mighty UN backed AU peace force is getting picked off, one by one. Just a matter of time till they bail, and then, it'll start over again.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X