Buddism: Religion or Philosophy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blake
    They feel pain and distress at the time of separation, but do not have a prolonged period of mourning. It's not viewed as a normal thing to do.
    No, they do mourne. With long ceremonies and preperations.

A close friend of mine, when his Grandfather died, he had to shave his hair and eyebrows for the "burial". At the death of the elder of the family, since he is the oldest of the 3rd generation, he, at the sametime, becomes a monk at the ceremony. From now on, anytime anyone in the family dies, he is the one that brings the ceremonies toghether.
    His father still has a hard time getting past his fathers death. So yea, they mourne. And coincidenlly, their 1 year "celebration" is today.

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I love how Blake refers to "TEH EAST" as some sort of monolithic magical place.
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

You mean The West isn't? Run and tell Aneeshm...
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
          Buddhists REALLY ARE OKAY, with other people not being Buddhists .
          Of course you are. That's when you say the disagreement is because you're "enlightened" and they aren't. Then go off on unrelated tangents ascribing ignorant traits to "other people" and "enlightened" traits to "your own".

I hold my beliefs gently, I believe in rebirth? Sure.
          A belief in Rebirth makes a Buddhist not.
          Back to your old games... "A problem is not a problem." "Rape is not rape."

This time it's... "My belief is not belief."

The constant... "Why don't you agree with me? It's because I'm enlightened and you aren't!"

Comment

No one has posted the awesome joke yet:

Q. What did the Buddhist say at the hotdog stand?

A. "Make me one with everything"
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
              It isn't?!
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                Quick reply, I haven't read the full thread yet, but:

It always struck me that with the Eastern schools of thought, there's not a very big difference between the concepts of "philosophy" and "religion", as for them, it's more a whole world-view thing; whereas in the West, philosophy's one thing, religion's another, and only occasionally do the two meet.
                The vast majority of western philosophy until the end of the 18th century is highly religious. And then after that, a certain spirit developed within that can easily be associated to a "protestant" spirit.
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                  QFT

Its always funny how people like Blake like to propagate Eurocentric views without even knowing it.
                  Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                  The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                  The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Working...
                  X