Cars suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cars suck

You take it in for an oil change and check up and they call you telling you the brakes need to be replaced.

CON JOB!
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Tell them the brakes worked on the way over here.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
        Tell them the brakes worked on the way over here.
        Neglecting something on a car, like brakes might end up costing you triple of what it would have cost you in the first place.

When they ment brakes, they ment pads. Pads for all 4 wheels cost around 80$ for your car and takes about 1 hour to change.

No biggy. You can even do it yourself.

Spec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

No, they certainly don't mean pads.

I've got 4 wheel disc brakes and they said they have to replace a lot of it, they quoted me $400 for the front and $400 for the back but I told them I'm not paying more than $300 and eventually got that...

But I don't know enough about cars to know if I'm being conned or not. But I don't want to risk it with brakes...

Comment

I had to replace a battery on my car this weekend. The old one was leaking like crazy and wouldn't hold a charge.

It's like a 10 minute job to pull out the old battery, clean the leads of the copper sulfate that's built up on them (blue gunk from leaking acid) and put in the new one. As I'm doing it, two different sets of neighbours come out and act very impressed that I "know how to do that" (note that I'd never changed a car battery before; I simply thought it wouldn't be very hard to figure out, and it wasn't). Then they start asking me unrelated car questions as though I've become an auto expert in their eyes.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Car battery replacement is one of the few things I know how to do (I haven't owned a car ever in my life and only drove one regularly for maybe three years). That, changing oil, and replacing the starter (which I had to do on the car I drove in high school, twice... cavaliers )
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                No, they certainly don't mean pads.

I've got 4 wheel disc brakes and they said they have to replace a lot of it, they quoted me $400 for the front and $400 for the back but I told them I'm not paying more than $300 and eventually got that...

But I don't know enough about cars to know if I'm being conned or not. But I don't want to risk it with brakes...
                Yes, you are being conned.

You can get 4 discs and pads for +/-250$, takes 2hours to change everything.

What year is your car?! 2004? You shouldn't have to change the discs yet. Discs are supposed to last atleast 80k km if always used with good pads.

Spec.
                -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Yeah, 2004. I'm aggressive-ish on braking and drive in a LOT of bumper to bumper traffic, don't know if that matters.

How exactly can I call them on this? I've no idea what I'm talking about.

He mentioned something about the drums as well which confused me -- do disc brakes still have drums?

Comment

Originally posted by Spec

Yes, you are being conned.

You can get 4 discs and pads for +/-250$, takes 2hours to change everything.

What year is your car?! 2004? You shouldn't have to change the discs yet. Discs are supposed to last atleast 80k km if always used with good pads.

Spec.
                    Umm... I'm pretty sure it's going to take Asher longer than 2 hours if he doesn't know what he's doing. $300 to replace or machine the disks isn't that much I think.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Suggestion: Take the car to a different mechanic

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

Umm... I'm pretty sure it's going to take Asher longer than 2 hours if he doesn't know what he's doing. $300 to replace or machine the disks isn't that much I think.
                        They're talking Canadian dollars, not USD. $300 is actually a decent amount of money in $CD...

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          Yeah, 2004. I'm aggressive-ish on braking and drive in a LOT of bumper to bumper traffic, don't know if that matters.

How exactly can I call them on this? I've no idea what I'm talking about.
                          Do you feel vibration when you break at high speed? That is generally a sign with disk brakes that something is wrong.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I could tell you if your discs are still good by looking at them...Its just something you get used too. You could also find the specs on the net and mesure the thickness of your discs to see if they are still within specs.

Have your discs ever been resurfaced/turned? Thats what they usually do. Are your discs OEM? If so, they should last up to 120k...And even if you are hard on brakes, its really the pads that take the grinding, not the discs.

Spec.

If not

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Do you feel vibration when you break at high speed? That is generally a sign with disk brakes that something is wrong.
                              Yes, past month or so. Slight

------------------------

I called Mazda Canada to inquire as to part pricing (which is standardized?). They told me the same thing the dealer did with regards to the price for the parts...and that they need to replace both the discs AND the pads, as policy.

Are you referring to non-Mazda parts, Spec?

Comment

Working...
                              X