Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medical thread: I did something kind of stupid, how do I fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical thread: I did something kind of stupid, how do I fix?

Let's say I got a hard candy lodged in my throat early this morning while I was half-awake on the subway.

It's not obstructing the airway (clearly), but it's definitely still stick in the throat. I thought over the course of the day it'd dissolve/dislodge but it's still there.

How do I get rid of it? My initial thought is to chug lots of Coke.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

nm
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I really don't wanna go to a clinic. Could a clinic even do it? I'd imagine it's just forseps and a yoink, but I'm not sure if I'd need to go to an ER for that (which seems WAY overkill)...

It's a candy so it's meant to dissolve...I just want it go faster.

I also tried the upchuk method, but all that's given me is swollen eyes.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Lot of hot water? try to cough(or breath) at the same time while swallowing.
        bleh

Comment

I tried that but it's worth some more.

The beauty of it is if the hot water doesn't fix it, I can try the upchuk method again.

Comment

Jesus, dude. Are you sure it's still in there? I've swallowed things the wrong way before and for hours afterward it felt like there was something still there, but it was just irritation/swelling. Is there anybody there who could look down your throat with a flashlight?

I'd be very nervous going to sleep with something lodged in my throat.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Try to drink relatively hot water with your nose?
              bleh

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                Jesus, dude. Are you sure it's still in there? I've swallowed things the wrong way before and for hours afterward it felt like there was something still there, but it was just irritation/swelling. Is there anybody there who could look down your throat with a flashlight?

I'd be very nervous going to sleep with something lodged in my throat.
                It might be swelling, I'm not sure. I can't see it myself and there's no one around.

And yeah, the reason I asked is I'm nervous to go to sleep.

Comment

Just keep eating peanut butter (straight... not talking sexuality here) until you can't feel anything in your throat any more.

Or perhaps you could convince your partner to probe your esophagus with something or the other...

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

I really don't wanna go to a clinic. Could a clinic even do it? I'd imagine it's just forseps and a yoink, but I'm not sure if I'd need to go to an ER for that (which seems WAY overkill)...

It's a candy so it's meant to dissolve...I just want it go faster.

I also tried the upchuk method, but all that's given me is swollen eyes.
                    I'd imagine a clinic could take care of it for you. If it's making you nervous, just go deal with it and get it over with.
                    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
                      Just keep eating peanut butter (straight... not talking sexuality here) until you can't feel anything in your throat any more.

Or perhaps you could convince your partner to probe your esophagus with something or the other...
                      PEanut butter...I like

The partner is 1.5 hours a way by car right now at school

Comment

Don't go to sleep.
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Do you have a webcam? Maybe you can show your throat to someone over IM.
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I insist that he must drink water up his nose... the candy is in airway...

If you really try this; post your results!
                            bleh

Comment

Maybe film it too.

Comment

Working...
                              X