No announcement yet.

Bear Stearns Collapses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have no idea how they're set up for retirement.
    True. But it's a fair guess that most of them used a company pension program.

Comment

No it's not.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
        Don't put words in my mouth. Many of the Bear Stearns folks got bonuses worth tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. I'm supposed to shed a tear for them?

F that. I've got nothing against them, and am not going to kick them when they're down, but to describe them as "the little guy" is just absurd.
        Just like you to focus on the traders and ignore the janitors, sectritaries and most of the rest of the staff who didn't make six figure salaries. A huge number of them also took up the employee ownership plan and lost it all because a few guys at the top wanted to bet the house on risky investments. After all if the CEO wanted that $200 million bonus then he needed to boost this year's profits and screw what happens afterwards.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Note: At least at Lehman brothers, the vast majority of the people being laid off aren't traders. Anyone who can still bring in revenue are sticking around, it's support staff that are getting the axe (operations, sales support, etc).
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The dow closed up slightly for Monday?

Wouldn't we have expected at significant loss for today at least?

Comment

It looks like JPM doesn't want very many Bear Stearns people. 90% or so are estimated to be getting sacked. In a recession and a financial crisis; just not a good time to be looking for a job.

Comment

Jim Cramer just loved Bear Stearns last Saturday night. Proof that the MSM hires just loud dumbasses to put on TV?

Comment

Stick with Cramer

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

The suprise move by the Fed made a difference probably.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Short Cramer

Comment

• DanS... As one who works for an investment bank, I can attest that IB bonuses, particularly to execs are, in large part paid out in restricted stock, and the retirement plans for the common folk are paid out in company stock.

Anyway, today made me feel a little happy about working for JPM. I feel bad for the guys who lost their retirements tho...
                        "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

• Originally posted by Geronimo

It's not Tuesday... yet...
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither

It's not Tuesday... yet...
                            but I thought the biggest bad news bombshells had all gone public over the weekend. It seems..odd that either there were no days of stock market losses resulting from this or that the losses will come after a day in which the ugly truth was already out but in which the market ended up slightly.

Comment

• Must have been the PPT.
                              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• Lehman seems to have recovered...
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X