No announcement yet.

Bear Stearns Collapses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, thanks DanS. I'm looking for signs of a dollar drop vs the Philippine peso but so far nothing much.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
      Fed lowered rates to 3.25...over the weekend!

when will we see 0.5%... that is the question now...
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

That will lower interest rates to home buyers, yes?

Comment

should not have any effect for the individual consumers... but I'd say it's a safe bet for another .5% base rate drop soon...

heh... they need to work over the weekends too nowadays
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Gov types working longer hours just gives them more time to screw things up.

Now why wouldn't the banks paying less mean that the home buyers pay less? Isn't that the point, to get the economy moving again?

Comment

this is the rates for borrowing to assist with short term liquidity problems for financial institutions... so effectively making it less costly for them to borrow in order shell cash out to whoever wants to withdraw it as far as I understand (and that is a lot of cash these days)...

so not affecting the rate at which people borrow the money from them... but that "other" base cut will come sooner rather than later I think... it's tricky though because of the inflation, but I'd say FED does not have much of a choice left...

Comment

Okay, thanks DanS. I'm looking for signs of a dollar drop vs the Philippine peso but so far nothing much.
                It will but slowly and continually as the Fed continues to inflate the money supply and interest rates keep falling in an attempt to goose the economy. What we really need is some form of responsible regulation to prevent the worst speculative behavior and to provide greater transparency on complex even arcane items like "mortgage backed securities". Supposedly the rules and system was so complex that even institutional investors couldn't judge risk accurately and unscrupulous firms were able to shift bad loans off on unsuspecting punters due to the risk/value of these securities being almost impossible to quantify.

Lord knows if the taxpayer is going to continually pick up the tab for the failures while companies get to keep all of the profits during the boom cycle then the government needs to regulate away the worst practices of the offenders.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Well inflation, gas prices specificly, are going to impact where I live on the Oregon Coast. $112 a barrel I saw a little while back.

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave

when will we see 0.5%... that is the question now...
                    Japan 1990 here we come! Isn't the Republican no regulation philosophy great?

Comment

Well inflation, gas prices specificly, are going to impact where I live on the Oregon Coast. $112 a barrel I saw a little while back.
                      Gas will keep going up as the value of the dollar falls.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Gas will keep going up as the value of the dollar falls.
                        There's always work on the Oregon Coast in springtime. I hope.

Comment

Yep, looks like Lehman's next to be voted off the island. Down 30% in pre-market trading.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Things must be pretty FUBAR when I'm more sanguine than most of Wall Street.
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Is this the sort of thing that wipes out pensions? My last job had a pension and we were vested but when we quit we got paid a bit. I wonder how those pension accounts are doing now?

Comment

Things aren't all that bad so far. Lehman is quickly clawing back its losses.

Faster than I can type actually.
                                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Working...
                                X