Nah mate, I don't want to work in like no cornfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cort Haus
    He could get around cans of Stella for an hour's work. He's prefer to use other people's work though.
    I think this sentence is missing something.

Comment

It's how they speak.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I lied about my age to start (illegally) working on a farm when I was 8. Picking beans, I got $0.10/lb. I worked alongside many who may or may not have been legal workers at the time. And with that money, I managed to buy myself a bike (to make getting to the farm easier)a pair of jeans, a couple shirts, and a pair of shoes for school. I was tired of my mom making my clothes.

Stuck with it till I was 15. By the end, I was running most of the operation and making $6.00/hour plus a percentage at harvest. (min wage was $4.00 ish) Paid cash for a car. Deposit on the first apartment, and most the down payment on our first house all came from that job.

The only thing that stopped me working there when I was 16 was the owner died, the son decided to sell it, and they built houses over the land.

Yes, it was a hell of a downgrade in working conditions when I started working at the local Burger King instead. Longer hours, less pay, crappier schedule.

Even after I graduated Highschool and started a factory job, the conditions and pay were worse, but there was health insurance there. So I'ld say it was probably a wash.

I've never understood the stigma to "working in some cornfield somewhere". From planting on through harvest, it was a pretty enjoyable time, all things considered.
        One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
        You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Wow! Were your family poor, UnO?
          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Yes, for the first 12 years of my life, though not nearly as poor as some.

We had a house. And we always had SOME food on the table. Sometimes that may have been bread and milk, but there was always something. And mom made our clothes.

We qualified for welfare, but never applied for any, and mom often ridiculed the neighbor mother who refused to take a job because she made more on welfare than she would working. This definately has impacted my opinions on the whole system.

To my parent's credit, the money we kids made STAYED ours. Didn't get pooled into the grocery fund or anything. We all learned how to manage money very well as a result.

By the time I was 12, my dad had enough seniority on the railroad that he didn't get laid off anymore, so things got a lot easier, to where we were down right well off. Literally, one year we're scraping by, the next, dad has a 90k/year job. By 14, we added an expansion onto the house.

But, I kept working and buying my own clothes because by then, it was just the way things worked.
            One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
            You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Sounds like you grew up in the 30´s. But it can't be if your dad made 90k/year...
              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                I think this sentence is missing something.
                Oops. I think "about eight" is what's missing.

Comment

Stealing jobs

Stealing buckets

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                  X