Are you rich?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onodera
    ... I don't think I'm rich by American standards. Is making 2k a month (after taxes) above or below average? Don't forget I pay almost nothing for rent.
    From the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics:
    The average U.S. salary is $39,190

The "almost free rent" probably bumps you up to about average.

Comment

Yes but the 1% in jail earn nothing and bring this down, as do hobos who no one knows are even alive.

Comment

On the other hand, the 1% sitting on their polo ponies, collecting corporate dividends and multi-billion dollar inheritances while doing no work, pull this figure up.

Comment

They aren't salaried.

Comment

Yeah, but there is the ridiculously rich...you could have 10 people earning £20k - you only need one person earning £240k in addition to bring the average up to £40k, for example.
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

On the other hand, have 10 people earning £20k and one person earning absolutely nothing, you only lower the average to just over £18k...some food for thought.
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I think I'm with the Wigginator on this one. Having some good friends, a warm family and some change left over after buying the weekly crust does not a rich man make.

Like PH, I've started a new job in a healthy income bracket, but I'm still living in the echo of some hard times, being aware of the fragility of employment security. Even with an above-average income, I can't see myself living anywhere bigger than a one-bed flat in the city I love until I'm almost certainly too old to enjoy it properly.

Having relative material comfort compared to people living in 3rd world squalor should not be mistaken for the grandeur and luxury of genuine affluence.

Comment

Well I am also hoping for even greater income in the future as well which should see me alright.
                  Speaking of Erith:

Comment

I reckon the younger, commie, me would hate the 30 year old me
                    Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Ari Rahikkala

Comment

I never claimed to have good freinds to hang out with, or a warm family. And I definitely don't have any lover. I have kept my own observations in the purely material.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

By the way, I haven't gone to the store lately, so I'm all out of bananas.
                          I am banana poor

Yes, we have no bananas.
                          We have no bananas todaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                            I reckon the younger, commie, me would hate the 30 year old me
                            We discussed that in the pub the other week. You're not exactly sending children down the mine so that you can live in a mansion, so don't worry about it.

Just wait till the younger, commie you sees the 40 year old you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                              I never claimed to have good freinds to hang out with, or a warm family. And I definitely don't have any lover. I have kept my own observations in the purely material.

JM
                              Are you still a raging spender, Jon?

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                                You're not exactly sending children down the mine so that you can live in a mansion, so don't worry about it.
                                I'm not, true. But that does sound like a good idea
                                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                                X